4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2008 10:02 AM by (Ramón_López)

Again with the Continuously Rasterize of 3D Shape Layers and Effects Problem in CS3

Hi! I have been looking into the forum for some help about this issue and although it have found a lot of related threads I really can't make this combination of features works well...

I mean I can't apply any "Distort" effect to any 3D "Shape Layer" cause finally the effect cause unexpected results (basically the effects loose his "alignment" with the layer as soon as I transform that layer even if I make a Pre-comp and apply the transformation there (cause I still need rasterization activated on it to maintain quality in zooms and scales). So, really could be a way that allow me to apply this effects to a continuously rasterized layer (or Pre-com) and it works as well as if they were applied to a Solid/Image Layer when use some kind of transformation or camera movement over it? Uf, I still really hope so...

Well, I'm now a little desperated so I'll be very grateful for any help; and sorry if I'm missing something obvious but I think I have tried all the possibilities (pre-compound and turn off 3D Layer option on both items with any combination, turn on or off rasterize option here and there too, apply the effect in the pre-comp layers or in the comp ones, etc...) and I think at this moment I start to loosing my faith...

PS: Ouh, and I hope you understand my "English" too...
        • 1. Re: Again with the Continuously Rasterize of 3D Shape Layers and Effects Problem in CS3
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          >So, really could be a way that allow me to apply this effects to a
          >continuously rasterized layer (or Pre-com) and it works as well as if
          >they were applied to a Solid/Image Layer when use some kind of
          >transformation or camera movement over it?

That's completely impossible. It goes against how AE effects (and ultimately the entire render pipeline) work. I think I know what you are hoping to achieve, but it is mathematically and technically illogical. Displacment effects work on pixels, not the original vector data, anyways. Only dedicated vector effects can manipulate path contours. AE is no different than Illustrator or Freehand in that regard.

Also: whenever you change the scale of a Shape Layer, you change the size of of the vector data which is then rasterized based on the bounding box and in some cases the cropping area defined by the composition borders. Therefore the layer size would steadily increase anyways and the result of your displacement would be different for each frame - what looks okay with 5px displacment values at frame 1 would barely be noticable on a layer that is "blown up" to 10 times the size on frame 100.

So for all intents and purposes you need to work with big layers and without continuous rasterization, no matter how much you may dislike it.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Again with the Continuously Rasterize of 3D Shape Layers and Effects Problem in CS3
            Level 1
            >So for all intents and purposes you need to work with big layers and without continuous rasterization, no matter how much you may dislike it.

Well, THANK YOU very much for your reply, probably you said me what I don't want to heard, but I really really needed to heard it, cause although I started to imagine that, it seems I needed to heard it from other one to be totally calmed/convinced and dedicate all this tests time to other more important things...

Well, that I must try now is how the use of that huge Shape Layers will affect to my computer and render times (I'm in a new laptop, but laptop at last...), but what I'm not really sure now, is about if really worth to use that Shape Layers to my "puppeted" characters or really it'd be better use image bitmaps cause the pixelation problem is the same in both cases at last, although in the other hand, the Shape Layers way let me some kind of liberty and direct changes with vector deformations (always that it remains inside the puppet mesh, of course) which I like to work very much, hmmm... choices & more choices...
            • 3. Re: Again with the Continuously Rasterize of 3D Shape Layers and Effects Problem in CS3
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              If you feel that there should be some form of "displacement" effects based on vector data (Bulge, Wave, Mesh Gradient Displace), feel free to file a feature request:

http://adobe.com/go/wish

I know it doesn't help your immediate needs, but there's always hope for a future version of AE to implement it.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Again with the Continuously Rasterize of 3D Shape Layers and Effects Problem in CS3
                Level 1
                Oh, thanks again, definitely that will worth it! I really love can works with vector shapes as much as possible and I hope someday it can be as confortable and "liberal" (or almost) as always have been in the bitmaps case, now it's a little soon for that and I understand it cause this is a new feature, but as you said at least it's possible now apply this kind of "Shape Effects" that could be the starting point for much more possibilities, or... I hope so! Meantime... I'm still experimenting and looking for my workaround, let's see...