7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2008 11:35 AM by Dag Norum

Paint Splatter

Hi I'm using AE Pro 7, Mac OS 10.4.11

I need a way of simulating a balloon that's filled with paint hitting a blank layer.....
      the balloon breaks, paint splatters and streaks run down.

I'd use this as a mask to reveal footage underneath.

Any suggestions or plug-ins available?

Thanks
      Paul
        • 1. Re: Paint Splatter
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Buy a set of ballons, fill them with whatever environmentally savvy paint-like substances you can find (white chalk-based wall paint, kid's finger paint, ink, food color, yoghurt), find a multi-storey building, set up your camera, let the ballons freefall and shoot them on impact. Take your kids/cousins/nices/nephews with you and have a hilarious and productive afternoon instead of klutzing around with tedious masking or spending money on expensive stock footage. Life sometimes is that simple. ;-)

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Paint Splatter
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            Andrew Kramer has quite a few ink splatter stock shots in his "Riot Gear" bundle. It's great value at 49 bucks too.

http://www.videocopilot.net/riotgear.html

But I agree with Mylenium, it's more fun to shoot it yourself.
            • 3. Re: Paint Splatter
              Joey Morelli Level 1
              It's all fun & games shooting it until you get paint on the camera.

...nightmare.

Depending on your budget, iStockphoto has tons of real footage on this page:

5 pages of them. Just roll over the image to see the animation.

Also Artbeats has cool ftg (pricey, though). MA135 looks like a water balloon exploding:

http://www.artbeats.com/footage/search?keywords=paint&category_id=&resolution=&fh=1

Joey
              • 4. Re: Paint Splatter
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                >It's all fun & games shooting it until you get paint on the camera.
                >
                >...nightmare.

Well, that's why smart people put a clear filter or acrylic glass before their lens, is it not? ;o)

Mylenium
                • 5. Re: Paint Splatter
                  bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
                  > It's all fun & games shooting it until you get paint on the camera.

We should hope the OP would take appropriate and adequate precautions to protect the equipment and his eyesight.

I say, "Shoot it."

bogiesan
                  • 6. Re: Paint Splatter
                    Joey Morelli Level 1
                    "Well, that's why smart people put a clear filter or acrylic glass before their lens, is it not?

"We should hope the OP would take appropriate and adequate precautions to protect the equipment and his eyesight.

You would think...but sh!t like that happens - especially on low budget shoots where everyone is cutting corners for no $$$.
                    • 7. Re: Paint Splatter
                      Dag Norum Level 2
                      I remember once I was taking pictures of exploding spray-paint cans. Both my camera and I were well protected, but I did forget about a window close by...

No no, the window survived, but one of those little metal balls you hear when you shake those cans was sitting kind of deep into the window frame.

Thinking about it now, the $49 for Andrew Kramer's "We ruined our good pants so you don't have to.", is not a big investment.

It was fun though...

Dag

EDIT: My son and I, long time ago were going to make a easter-crime ala NYPD (camera not steady at all) for fun. Flames are worse than paint and small metal balls!

http://www.norumprod.com/video/fault.wmv