4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2008 1:16 PM by nate_movingpixel

Depicting Shark sensors with Plugins/Compositing?

nate_movingpixel
      heya

currently i am working on a project that involves depicting Shark sensory abilities.

the task i have been set is representing a sharks electro, thermal and scent sensors both from a POV of the shark(recieving signal) and the prey(transmitting signal)

i will be overlaying(compositing) organic fx over real HD footage depicting the 3 sensors. my question i pose to y'all is a suitable plugins that can provide the best outcome!!

While i understand there is never a one plugin answer and its likely that a combination of filters and tweaking will be involved...i am open to suggestion as to how to create the best output.

I have a budget to purchase 3 plugins per sensor effect..so again i am open to suggestion here as to what you would be possible options.

so, let me break down how i envisage the 3 sensory effects:

scent: i see this as a silvery tendril effect getting transmitted from the prey and slowly dissipating...i'm anticipating this effect will move through x,y,z space (show perspective)
      my solution: trapcode form (i assume like all other trapcode plugins this allows the comp camera to fly around the effect as if it appears to have volume????)...tweak and blur to suit

electro sensitivity: sharks(great whites) have small holes on its snout to sense electrical currents.This sensitivity to electrical currents allows the great white to detect nearby prey whose beating hearts, gill actions, and muscle contractions all give off small electrical signals.
      not sure how to create this affect entirely...i was thinking maybe track emitting points on the prey, turn that into a displacement map and run that over the footage so i distorts it??...kinda like a predator type effect accept it gets transmitted out from the source?...i reckon it'll look real busy and probably quite crap...but again open to suggestion?...maybe transmitting a subtle plasma effect out from the prey???

thermal footprint: sharks detect a thermal footprint emitted from the prey.
      my solution: emmiting a trapcode smoke cloud with a color change over time....red for close to the source disappating into a yellow?? run a blur or even change the particle???

so there you have it, any suggestions welcome...as i said i have a budget to buy plugins...but already have some of the trapcode plugins,(but not trapcode form)

the key words that i wish to be reflected in the fx are : ORGANIC, SUBTLE ...but definately not diagramatic!!!

if you have read this far...thanks for your patience!!...and thanking the ones in advanced for any suggestions!!..please feel free to ask any question

regards
      Nate

MacBook Pro, AE 6.5, AE 7, trapcode shine, particular, glow, combustion 2
      unfortunately i can't afford any 3D apps at the moment
        • 1. Re: Depicting Shark sensors with Plugins/Compositing?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          >not sure how to create this affect entirely...i was thinking maybe >track emitting points on the prey, turn that into a displacement map >and run that over the footage so i distorts it??...kinda like a >predator type effect accept it gets transmitted out from the >source?...i reckon it'll look real busy and probably quite crap...but >again open to suggestion?...maybe transmitting a subtle plasma effect >out from the prey???

Not realistic. The EM field changes with every move of any object and even the surroundings will have different electrical potential e.g. due to different temperatures and streaming velocities in the water. More likely it will be perceived as some sort of fake color with "flashes" whenever there is a significant change in the EM field. In a way the shark would be flying through some sort of "electrical fog". The peaks themselves would be perceived as white flashes or electrical sparks as you would see them in a dark room, I guess.

>thermal footprint: sharks detect a thermal footprint emitted from the >prey. my solution: emmiting a trapcode smoke cloud with a color
          >change over time....red for close to the source disappating into a
          >yellow?? run a blur or even change the particle???

Again, not realistic. Thermal footprints can last for hours, though arguably the differences would be minute with coldblooded species such as fish. In my view you should not work with changes in the color over time at all. It's also worth noting that it matters whether a fish appear on its own or if it swims in a swarm. Swarms are usually warmer due to the compression of the water by the movement.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Depicting Shark sensors with Plugins/Compositing?
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            Use the "Beam" effect if your sharks require frikkin' laser beams.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
            • 3. Re: Depicting Shark sensors with Plugins/Compositing?
              nate_movingpixel Level 1
              good points..i am meeting with an expert this friday for a breakdown...i kinda wanted to have something to show...even if it was slightly misguiding, so at least there was a starting point...thanks for posting
              • 4. Re: Depicting Shark sensors with Plugins/Compositing?
                nate_movingpixel Level 1
                hmmmmm laser beam...its crazy enough it might just work!!!!.....or not