8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2008 5:31 PM by Eric1138

The Limits of Dynamic Link...

Level 1
      I'm working on an all green screen video. I did my cut in PPRo CS3, then opened the project in AE CS3. I used keylight to do all the keying, then used Dynamic Link to bring the project back into PPro.

Upon trying to render it, it stopped and gave the following error...

AfterFX.exe
      The exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occurred in the application at location 0x05ac38da

The whole dynamic linked clip is about 6 1/2 minutes. I've noticed that as I create clips in AE that are very complex, it can crash PPro when attempting to import them. I've even had an error come up that mentions something about Visual C++ and then shuts down PPro. The only way to reopen PPro is to reboot the computer.

Anyone else notice anything like that? Am I just pushing the bounds of dynamic link?

BTW - I'm running a dual quad-core 2Ghz, 6GB RAM, XP, Quadro 1500 video card...
        • 1. Re: The Limits of Dynamic Link...
          David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
          Don't think it's related to your problem, but you're running 64bit version of XP, right?
          • 2. Re: The Limits of Dynamic Link...
            Level 1
            No...32 bit XP
            • 3. Re: The Limits of Dynamic Link...
              David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
              You do know that running 6gb of ram on a 32bit OS is a waste of ~2gb, right?
              • 4. Re: The Limits of Dynamic Link...
                Level 1
                yes...I'm aware...I bought it because I do plan on upgrading later and HP was running a special on memory when I bought that computer...
                • 5. Re: The Limits of Dynamic Link...
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                  >Am I just pushing the bounds of dynamic link?

Most certainly. Consider the following: Whenever you use Dynamic Link, the main program, in this case Premiere, takes up memory (up to about 1.2 GB depending on the situation). Then a full instance of AE is launched as a background process, taking up another xxx MB in your RAM. This is without any processing going on. Now add to that the xxx MB that XP has a tight grip on and is not available for programs. So even under ideal conditions, you have lost 2 GB without having actually done anything. When you the add HD footage and memory hungry keyers (which they all are), you easily hit the wall. This is further compounded by processing overhead due to required color space conversions between Premiere and AE's render engine. So in short: unless you really are on a 64bit OS, especially the combination of PRemiere and AE in that manner does not realyl make sense and you would do better to render the clips directly from AE.

Mylenium
                  • 6. Re: The Limits of Dynamic Link...
                    Level 1
                    Mylenium...

Thanks so much for that great answer. I had a feeling I was pushing it. I have mulitple timelines in my project, one that had 9 short green screen shots (each using DL), and then the big timeline with the alomst 7 minute DL clip made up of a bunch of smaller clips.

I keep going back and forth about upgrading to a 64 bit OS. I hear all these bad things from people who do and are using Production Premium - any thoughts on that?
                    • 7. Re: The Limits of Dynamic Link...
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                      As I just wrote in another thread, I have no problems on my x64 system. In my view most people are making their life difficult by not buying brand computers and then they have problems getting all drivers and stuff. I have a dual quadcore Fujitsu-Siemens workstation (very popular local brand) with bring-in service. The machine is silent as a whisper even on full throttle, the internals are well thought out (clip-on panles and coolers, quick-snap harddrive mounts etc.) and I can download any driver I need by simply typing my machine serial on the manufacturer's website. That's what I call perfect service. The only thing I can't give you any info about is capturing in Premiere which obviously is a deal breaker for many people. My FireWire capture works perfectly for what little offline and home video editing I do, but if you need a real capture card then obviously you should be prepared for some head-scratching to get things running smoothly.

Mylenium
                      • 8. Re: The Limits of Dynamic Link...
                        Level 1
                        Thanks for the input...I'll have to give it some thought and do some research.