5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2008 8:29 PM by Mylenium

Text animators:  resizing characters without screwing up kerning?

A. Cobb Level 3
      This has me stumped. I'm using a scale animator to effectively change the font size of the selection. The animator scales around whatever anchor point is designated in the Anchor Point Grouping setting. If I set the APG to either All or Line, I can maintain the correct kerning within the selection, but this might create a gap or an overlap with the characters on either side of the selection. If I set the APG to Character, and set the tracking to compensate for the change in scale, the relationship with the surrounding text is a lot more natural, but the selection itself looks just awful.

Obviously, I can manually change the grouping alignment, or add a position animator, but I'm looking for a way to automate this process.

Anyone have any ideas?
        • 1. Re: Text animators:  resizing characters without screwing up kerning?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Not really. Typographic calculations are rather complex and as obviously we cannot access the native font properties with expressions, there is no frame of reference, also. If you can guesstimate the bounding box of individual characters at a given size, you could add them to a custom array and base your calculations theron, but it's still going to be clunky code. Honestly I think you will have much better luck by simply using more animators.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Text animators:  resizing characters without screwing up kerning?
            A. Cobb Level 3
            More animators won't help, though, will they? They would just have to be set manually.
            • 3. Re: Text animators:  resizing characters without screwing up kerning?
              Depends what you are actually trying to do. That part is not quite clear to me. Remember: You can use animators based on the absolute index of a character/ word/ line, which would allow you to control some animation based on string calculations with expressions. And of course there is such a thing as expression selectors as well... Naturally you won't be able to forego the tedium of using additional, manually keyframed animators, but that's the way it's gotta be - until the day Adobe give us native access to more font goodness.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Text animators:  resizing characters without screwing up kerning?
                A. Cobb Level 3
                i Depends what you are actually trying to do. That part is not quite clear to me. Remember: You can use animators based on the absolute index of a character/ word/ line, which would allow you to control some animation based on string calculations with expressions. And of course there is such a thing as expression selectors as well... Naturally you won't be able to forego the tedium of using additional, manually keyframed animators, but that's the way it's gotta be - until the day Adobe give us native access to more font goodness.

The selector isn't the problem. It's the animator. I guess what I really need is an Anchor Point Grouping option that will set the anchor point relative to the selection, rather than relative to the entire text layer or line. Either that or a scale animator that ignores the APG altogether and respects kerning.

Not to say that I wouldn't like to have access to detailed data about the geometry of the characters, but I can see how that would be a bit more difficult to implement.
                • 5. Re: Text animators:  resizing characters without screwing up kerning?
                  Yes, I see. In more clearer words: You would like to have a "transparent" way (in programmers' terms) to keep the relative placement and spacing of the text bounding boxes intact, don't you? So before actually scaling you would like to scale the anchor points as if they were grouped, with the amount of scaling determined by the falloff of the animator.

Mylenium