6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2008 11:40 PM by Mylenium

export a Windows Media File

For some reason, I can only export the first half of my 30 second commercial to a Windows Media file. Odd. I really have no idea why it's doing this. Any suggestions?

AE CS3, working on a MAC

Heck if I'm missing it in the render Q options let me know.
        • 1. Re: export a Windows Media File
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          >Windows Media file
          >
          >AE CS3, working on a MAC
          >
          >I really have no idea why it's doing this.

You have no idea? Really? Windows Media and Mac are kinda mutually exclusive. Flip4Mac is certainly trying to do as good a job as it can, but compared to the many (free) options you have on a PC, it's still kinda lame. In your case it could be anything from Flip just not cooperating temporarily and running in trial mode which allows only 10 seconds (you have a full license, do you?)to a real encoding problem with bitrates and whatnot. Too hard to diagnose via telepathic powers. In the long run inevitably the smart thing to do would to find a PC or have a secondary install of Windows just for that purpose on your Mac by whatever means you prefer (Bootcamp, Parallels).

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: export a Windows Media File
            Level 1
            So I need to buy Flip 4 mac or a Windows version of After Effects so clients who all run Windows machines can see video I create?
            • 3. Re: export a Windows Media File
              There is technically no need to buy anything than one single Windows licence. No need for AE or other tools. Windows Movie Maker is free, Windows Media Encoder Basic is free and so is VirtualDub and several other tools that can output AVIs in a plethora of CoDecs and WMVs. All you have to do is get an AVI or MOV over to the Windows world... The question however is, how frequently you have to do this and if it is worth spending an afternoon with Bootcamp and a Windows install. You might quite well get happy with Flip4Mac Basic, which is a mere 99 bucks if I recall correctly. Things only get dicy if you need more advanced features of the more expensive Pro version. In addition, there's always the risk of something looking perfect on OSX and the client still ending up with an unusable file if you have no way of checking them on the native OS.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: export a Windows Media File
                bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
                Flip4Mac exporter is $50, it's clearly explained on the Web site at Telestream. The free trial version exports 30 seconds, also clearly explained.
                Flip is a fabulous tool, works as a QT plugin in any and all QT applications.

You want to follow M's advice if you do this often. Best answer is to find a cheap old used PC that will run all of the free WMV utilities from Microsoft. Doing AVI and WMV on a Macintosh is silly if you need volume and total Windows compatibility. All of the Mac tools for making PC files are clunky.

bogiesan
                • 5. Re: export a Windows Media File
                  poodyglitz Level 1
                  Why did Adobe discontinue WMV export in After Effects? While I'm not keen on dealing with such formats, my clients request otherwise. If I didn't have to sometimes create content that's going to be shown in Powerpoint, this problem wouldn't exist.
                  • 6. Re: export a Windows Media File
                    >Why did Adobe discontinue WMV export in After Effects?

Sorry, but that's nonsense. You're blaming the wrong company. Microsoft ceased creating Mac versions of their WMV libraries around the time when WindowsMedia 8 was en vogue. They tried and never got it right, so decided to abandon it. Since Adobe are dependent on those libraries, there is only so much they can do. Consequentially, they cannot support WMV on Macs anymore. They possibly could come up with a solution such as Flip, but the effort in time, money and resources would mean that the price would have to go up and other things fall behind. And understandably, now that Flash video is everywhere, they certainly won't go out on a limb to support a competing format. It's a simple business decision on all ends.

Mylenium