4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2008 12:43 PM by jl2000

How to uninstal AE6.5 and AE7 because of error messages

jl2000 Level 1
      Hi -

I upgraded from 6.5 to 7 awhile ago and haven't used either in about a year. Now that I'm needing it I get resistance. AE6.5Pro tells me that the registration # is invalid and then just quits. AE7Pro tells me that it's missing some files and I should reinstall.

OK - so I'm going to reinstall but that begs the question...should I uninstall first? What's the best way to do that? I think I will have to uninstall both, reinstall 6.5 and then upgrade over it. Will I get resistance from the validation routine??

Maybe someone knows of a workaround to save me all this trouble.

TIA some advice and direction.

J2
        • 1. Re: How to uninstal AE6.5 and AE7 because of error messages
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          >Will I get resistance from the validation routine??

No0. If you install on the same system and do not re-format your entire disk, there is no need to deactivate. However, I still recommend doing it. Because your install seems severely damaged, there's always the chance something might go wrong and things are easier to handle on all ends if no blocked activation gets in the way. BTW, you do not need to actually install 6.5, the v7 should merely ask you for inputting a second serial number at some point.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: How to uninstal AE6.5 and AE7 because of error messages
            jl2000 Level 1
            Mylenium -

Thanks for the response.

If I understand correctly you're saying I don't HAVE to uninstall but I should. I understand that I won't need 6.5 on the drive anymore, that's a space-saver. But I still want to remove all the extra files 6.5 squirrel's around the system. What's the best way to uninstall 6.5 and get rid of all those nuts?

Thanks again.

J
            • 3. Re: How to uninstal AE6.5 and AE7 because of error messages
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              All the files you need should be in the respective Adobe directories (Program Files/Adobe, Program Files/Common Files/Adobe; Application Data/ Adobe or the respective equivalent directories) but ultimately the files themselves are of little consequence - a new install wil lsimply overwrite them. You main concern will be to clean out your registry/ prefs which can only be done by uninstalling correctly. Otherwise things could get pretty hairy. Unfortunately there's no such no-brainer tool as the CS3 clean scripts for AE7 and previous versions.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: How to uninstal AE6.5 and AE7 because of error messages
                jl2000 Level 1
                Thanks.
                That's what I needed to know.
                JL