4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2008 7:41 PM by (stevemintz)

Corrupt files in After Effects CS3

Hi,

I have a mystery. Seems like every time I create a file at 1280 x 720 using square pixel. That file will become corrupt. It would be fine one day and corrupt a week later. Corrupt meaning that it would list files missing that are there and the program would freeze up

I have tried importing it into another project, but when I do that the program basically freezes.

What should I do to fix this?
      This is what I have
      Quad core PC 2.4 GHz
      2 GB of RAM (will be changing to 3GB Corsair soon)
      Windows XP Pro
      Quadro FX/1500 256MB
        • 1. Re: Corrupt files in After Effects CS3
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          What source files are you using? What is your disk layout? Project breakdown is a sign of either corrupted disks (flakey RAIDs, bad SATA drivers and such) or CoDec specific problems due to said CoDecs not being "watertight" or exposing general problems on multicore systems. This is in particular the case for some MPEG/ DV-based formats as AE will need to conform them and errors in the stream structure can make things go *boom* quite quickly.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Corrupt files in After Effects CS3
            Level 1
            source files are uncompressed avi's, jpg files ai files,
            It does it with any files

Disk lay out is NTFS. It's connected to an ASUS motherboard.
            If SATA drive culprit where do I go for an update?

The drive in use is not a RAID. It is a Seagate Barracuda disk.

I do get a multicore 850 error. I have no idea what that means.
            • 3. Re: Corrupt files in After Effects CS3
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              >I do get a multicore 850 error. I have no idea what that means.

Neither have I, but at least it's a confirmation that something is not right. ;-) The general configuration seems fine as do the source files. In your case any adjustments to the SATA bus will have to be done in the BIOS as your disk is plugged to the motherboard. Updating the BIOS is in general associated with the risk of making everything defunct, so I don't advise it in this case. However, you can look into a few things:

- Check the cable and connector plugs. The may just be a tiny bit loose, but that can be enough to cause signal fading and successive errors.
              - If there is an alternate plug port, consider using it.
              - If there are other devices like DVD burners connected on the same bus/ cable as well, temporarily unplug them or plug them to a different port.
              - In your BIOS, check the SATA settings. Disable the secondary/ tertiary channels, if no devices are plugged to them. Sometimes unwanted signal echo and voltage degeneration can cause issues on the primary bus.
              - Check which SATA mode you are using. There should be options to select SATA, AHCI, IDE legacy compatibility and RAID or combinations of those modes.

Most boards will default to AHCI, which is an enhanced SATA and correct for most environments. IDE will be the most compatible, but not yield maximum performance. Be warned, though. It is possible that your system will not boot the operating system if you change settings. In that case immediately switch back to the original one to prevent damage!

When entering the BIOS, additional options for SATA may become available (bus timing, IRQ of the internal controller and whatnot, but I recommend you leave them untouched. Modern BIOSes will auto-adapt and set those parameters correctly 99.9% of the time.

As a last item, look at the general BIOS config. Check if there are some odd energy saving settings somewhere that may send your disk to sleep prematurely. Also check the boot sequence plus the host OS compatibility setting. Many BIOSes allow to choose between optimized boot settings for Win XP and Win Vista plus optional other alternatives for XP64, Linux and so on. This setting might potentially affect how you operating system detects and treats your harddrive.

If none of the above gives any improvement, find a hardware geek near you who can help you. ;-)

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Corrupt files in After Effects CS3
                Level 1
                Thanks for your help. I am taking it to my hardware geek. I will print out your suggestions for him. This stuff is just beyond me.

Thanks for your help.
                steve