3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2008 12:45 AM by (Jack_Daubs)

Converting PAL to NTSC

Hi,

I'm currently working in Belgium, and they have a project they want to sell in United States, but first, we have ton convert every video from PAL to NTSC.
      Now i have a problem with an after effect project. In the project, i have a video (.AVI or .mov), and i can't explain why, when i convert the composition to NTSC format, the video starts shivering, on a vertical way.
      The thing is, i didn't even convert the 24ips to 30ips yet... It's just cause i changed the format, from DV-PAL widescreen, to DV-NTSC widescreen.

Does anyone have an idea on how i could solve this problem?

Thanks in advance

Julie
        • 1. Re: Converting PAL to NTSC
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Is the source footage "clean" in terms of being consistently interlaced with the right field dominance? It would only get the shivers/ jaggies if footage interpretation is incorrect or in the source clip upper and lower field sections have been intercut incorrectly.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Converting PAL to NTSC
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            Standards conversion isn't as simple as dropping one format into another.

There's a section in After Effects LiveDocs that explains how to use pulldown to create a clean PAL - NTSC transfer:

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/8.0/WS8856A169-709B-443e-8E7A-45AC34C5981B.ht ml
            • 3. Re: Converting PAL to NTSC
              Level 1
              There is one other way - it all depends on what you want to do. Andrew
              Kramer on Creative Cow made a tutorial on how to convert between video
              formats in After Effects. It also included how to make an Animation Preset
              to automate the whole thing:

http://forums.creativecow.net/articles/kramer_andrew/fps/index.htm

Because it converts frame rates it doesn't change timings so the audio is
              unaffected.

WARNING... it can be VERY slow on highest quality settings!

John