11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2008 5:39 PM by Andrew Yoole

How to save video with out quality turning to crap?

Level 1
      Okay here is the story,

I am making a logo for my videos.

I created the logo and once I am done, I go to File>export>select AVI

but once I open the file up, the video is HORRIBLE quality, it reminds me of the Monolith productions logo that was used in Blood 2 the chosen (a game made in 1998)

How can I save this with out the graphics being ruined?

After I plan to add in audio using windows movie maker, seeing as this program is stupid and has no audio -_-
        • 1. Re: How to save video with out quality turning to crap?
          Level 1
          Hey there,
          Rather press Ctrl+Shift+/ which adds your comp to the render queue. Here, you can in detail, specify the quality, compressors, and file format. So just go for uncompressed AVI.
          Adobe After Effects is for visual effects, not sound editing, so Adobe has separate programs for that (Soundbooth for sound editing, Premiere for video editing, After Effects for special effects). They're all really much much better and professional programs than Movie maker.
          Hope this all helps!
          Brad
          • 2. Re: How to save video with out quality turning to crap?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            >After I plan to add in audio using windows movie maker, seeing as this
            >program is stupid and has no audio

How 'bout reading the manual before posting such completely wrong *beep*? AE supports audio and even has some rudimentary audio processing effects. As for the rest - render via the render queue as suggested by Brad. Again, check out the manual on how to create a proper uncompressed AVI for further editing and processing. And next time use your brain before your mouth (or your fingers, respectively).

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: How to save video with out quality turning to crap?
              Level 1
              well I am having audio problems, and am too impacient to screw around with it, moviemaker will have to surfice,

and my copy of AE did not come with a manual, it came from bar...nvm
              • 4. Re: How to save video with out quality turning to crap?
                Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                So, just to clarify... you stole the software, but expect the company that invests in its production and development to provide a forum that solves your software problems...?
                • 5. Re: How to save video with out quality turning to crap?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                  Matthew,

I hope that what you mean to say is that you have legitimately obtained a license for After Effects but have somehow failed to receive a printed manual. Regardless, you still have access to the Help document---which includes much more information than the printed manual. The link to the online document is in the banner at the top of this forum, but here it is again:

After Effects CS3 Help on the Web

Regarding rendering and exporting, the others on this thread are right: Use the render queue. When rendering and exporting using the render queue, you have a lot more control over encoding/compression settings than you do when you use the QuickTime components and other third-party components for exportig movies in the File > Export menu. For information, see the "Basics of rendering and exporting" section of After Effects Help on the Web.

A reminder about a policy for this forum: Any post that advocates piracy or theft of any sort will be deleted.
                  • 6. Re: How to save video with out quality turning to crap?
                    Level 1
                    ya thats what I did, I downloaded the demo of it and aquired the licence.

I found this to be more convenient than purchasing from the store because I dont have to go out and look for it.

but not having a booklet/manuel for it is a price I must pay.

but I figured out how to do it, problem solved, thanks
                    • 7. Re: How to save video with out quality turning to crap?
                      Level 1
                      and also, I do not feel comftorable with people telling me that i stole the software, as i ligetematly paid for a licence code. btw, what makes people think that stealing?
                      • 8. Re: How to save video with out quality turning to crap?
                        Level 1
                        Hey Matthew,
                        I think there might have been some confusion over this statement:

"my copy of AE did not come with a manual, it came from bar...nvm "

I'm still not sure what that means.
                        • 9. Re: How to save video with out quality turning to crap?
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                          nvm = never mind. I don't know what bar means in this context unless it's just a partially-typed location.
                          • 10. Re: How to save video with out quality turning to crap?
                            Level 1
                            mmmmhmmm,

"my copy did not come with a manual, it came from bar...nvm"

I was stating that my copy was not purchased from a retail store, that the demo came from bargin software and I didnt bother finishing my scentence because I wanted to get to my point and figured people really don't care where got it from.

I am getting very annoyed over the idea that I came to ask a question but instead am being interrogated (what are you, Sam Fisher??") by somebody in a forum website

So now that I have my main question answerd and you squeezed every last drop of info out of me, you can now knock my out, and remember to hide my body somewhere because Lambert said if you trigger more than 3 alarms, it's mission over.
                            • 11. Re: How to save video with out quality turning to crap?
                              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                              Matthew,

Sorry if you feel you've been treated harshly, and apologies if you indeed own a legitimate copy of After Effects. (I still don't understand what "bargain software" is...)

But please understand that, as an official Adobe website, there is a zero-tolerance policy toward ANY implication of piracy or software theft on this Forum.

The forum is populated by many professionals and hobbyists who give up their time to assist others for no compensation. We all spend the dollars to own the software, and people who don't are not just ripping off Adobe, they're ripping off other users. So you'll find many people on this forum don't take kindly to piracy either.

Your questions are very welcome here, but please be mindful of the restrictions this Forum requires of its users.