5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2008 3:23 AM by Mylenium

Graphics Card & CPU

Hi,

I am looking to build a new edit PC for use with PremierePro & AfterEffects.

I am after some advice on what type of CPU and Graphics Adapter to choose.

CPU I am looking between Core2Duo and Core2Quad. Is there much performance benefit in running the Quad? I will be using XP64 with 8Gb RAM.

Graphics I am looking between an 8800GTS or QuadroFX series card.

Any thoughts on these items would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
      Danny
        • 1. Re: Graphics Card & CPU
          Level 1
          Now i know that CS3 is still running on 32bit, so by having 8gb of ram would not be very benificial. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

But my question is, will I have a real-time preview on AE if I running a Quadro FX series card??
          • 2. Re: Graphics Card & CPU
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            >Now i know that CS3 is still running on 32bit, so by having 8gb of ram >would not be very benificial.

Not correct. On a dual core, you could max out the full 8GB RAM by using multiprocessing. Each of the 2 individual instances would use 4GB. Therefore using a 64bit OS on such a system is sensible.

>But my question is, will I have a real-time preview on AE if I running
            >a Quadro FX series card??

Nope. That question is somewhat missing the point. As a compositing app, AE is still focussed on a "vertical" workflow, stacking and belnding layers together. Depending on the number of effects, blendmodes etc., there can never be any guarantee that this is realtime. Only certain raw footage files will play in realtime plus some hardware-accelerated effects will allow to retain this ability, but not all of them.

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: Graphics Card & CPU
              >Graphics I am looking between an 8800GTS or QuadroFX series card.

May work, may not. If you read various posts on this forum (and elsewhere), you will find enough comments regarding problems using GeForce 8800 models. However, these issues occur almost exclusively on quadcore processors, so you may not be affected at all.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Graphics Card & CPU
                Level 1
                If I were to go the Quad Core way, what type of midrange graphics adapter would you recommend if the 8800 models are known for problems with AE?

Danny
                • 5. Re: Graphics Card & CPU
                  That's not quite clear, but obviously you could get an GeForce 7xxx card for 50 bucks or something and throw it out in half a year, when NVidias next top-of-the-line model comes out. Until then you can safe the money. ;-) Other than that you could simply find a dealer with a friendly return policy or who is willing to install the AE CS3 trial on a showroom machine that is identical to the one you plan on buying...

Mylenium