4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2008 1:00 PM by (Francois_Driessen)

Embedding 24fps into 30fps comps

Level 1
      Hi there,

Need to change the framerate for output of a comp with many pre-comps in it. 30fps instead of 24fps. To preserve highest quality : Just wondering if I have to go to all the pre-comps to change them as well or can I leave them at 24fps. Will there be any quality difference if I have non-matching comps in there?

Thanks!
      -F
        • 1. Re: Embedding 24fps into 30fps comps
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          >Will there be any quality difference if I have non-matching comps in
          >there?

As far as AE-internal animation is concerned: Nope. AE samples based on absolute time, not frames. Therefore any timing will be retained correctly. You may just get different motionblur and for obvious mathematical reasons some animations will not coincide with fully quantized frames, which might be an issue with rotoscoped stuff or when layers need to "touch", e.g. a cube bouncing on the floor. These may need adjustment, but the rest should look just fine. You should only pre-convert any movie footages to match the new framerates, but even that should be no problem for 24p to NTSC as you can use pulldown.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Embedding 24fps into 30fps comps
            Level 1
            Yup. Makes sense.

When you say pre-convert movie footage, what process do you refer to? (So far I have not had any major issue with just placing footage in the comp directly, but that could be cause I've just been lucky with input and output matching)
            • 3. Re: Embedding 24fps into 30fps comps
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              Pre-converting is more a matter of personal preference, but we've made it a habit when converting stuff from PAL to NTSC or vice versa. E.g. if you use QT files and they are deeply nested, it is imaginable that at one point you move them into different positions and this will bring your field order out of alignment. For 24p stuff it is not mandatory and thus a matter of personal preference, but it may help you to fix any animation issues 'cos you already see how the converted footage will look. As I said, for generating NTSC output from 24p, simple pulldown would be correct. Just drop the footage in 30fps comp, then enable pulldown for rendering.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Embedding 24fps into 30fps comps
                Level 1
                thnx.
                Will keep that in mind.