3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2008 12:57 AM by Andrew Yoole

how to make a "torn burst paper"  animation?

I need to make an animation of a ball hurtling into the screen, and bursting through the image as though it was a bit of paper under high tension. Anyone have any ideas on how to go about this? the kind of rip, someting along the lines of this image, but obviously this part would be facing away from the camera since the ball is ripping the paper outwards...

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/object/5924468_torn_paper_burst_side_view.php?id=5 924468

I want it to be a bit more spectacular and expolsive than just a simple rip,
      but i really have no idea how to animate this from scratch!!

help?

Thanks! Anna :)
        • 1. Re: how to make a "torn burst paper"  animation?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          3D software. Cloth simualtion and that sort of stuff. If it was for the paper only, you could just shoot it (fire a golfball through not-so-tough paper or something like that), but if it needs to include a special imagery, that doesn't seem feasible.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: how to make a "torn burst paper"  animation?
            Level 1
            thanks :) yeah it doesn' have to be that kind of involved, doesn't have to look as good as that pic i posted. Actually it's just a very quick transition...it feels like the kind of thing you see all the time, there must be some preset somewhere that does it...maybe in motion? i mean the paper would split and almost instantly be off screen...is there no way other than the 3d path (which isn't an otpion)? some kind of "poor man`s" equivalent.....?

thanks, :)
            • 3. Re: how to make a "torn burst paper"  animation?
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              I'd start in Photoshop with a paper texture, and create 4 (or so) layers with "torn" edges out of the texture. The tears should all lead to the same central "impact" point.

Import to AE, then use a distort tool (I'd probably use Bezier Warp) to bend each layer out from the impact point, revealing a "hole". Then introduce your ball layer, flying through the hole at the appropriate time.

If you want to get fancy, add some residual movement to the paper pieces after the ball has passed through, like they're fluttering a little in the air that the ball dispersed.

It wouldn't work well if it was a slow tear, but for something fast and furious I'm sure you could get away with it.