5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2008 9:48 AM by Mylenium

Illustrator CS3 documents in AE CS3

Hi

I know almost nothing about Illustrator... so before I go off half cocked can someone answer a quick question for please.

I believe that text layers in Illustrator if saves as a .ai file can be Imported as layers in AE CS3.

However does the text actually come in as editable, animatable text? Perhaps even Text Layers?

Or does it come in as a vector image?

If there's special ways of exporting to achieve different outcomes could you mention that too? (the manual is a bit vague ... and I haven't got a copy of Illustrator yet, until I find out if it's worth it to me!)

Thanks for shining the light!

Lee
        • 1. Re: Illustrator CS3 documents in AE CS3
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Text always comes in as vectors. Unlike with PSDs, you cannot convert it to editable text.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Illustrator CS3 documents in AE CS3
            Level 1
            Thanks so much for clearing that up!

It would be nice if it did come in as text... for me anyway!

Lee
            • 3. Re: Illustrator CS3 documents in AE CS3
              It would,, but unfortunately the Illustrator file format functions completely different from PSDs, so there is no simple metadata to access and create a native text layer. Maybe one of these days...

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Illustrator CS3 documents in AE CS3
                Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
                From what I understand, it's not a metadata problem. The data is very similar and the underlying type engine is the same.
                The problem is.... that AI itself uses an object-based model, not a layer-based one. As a consequence, text objects live in AI layers with any number of other elements, and in AE there isn't such a thing as an object inside a layer (except in shape layers, of course).... so the problem is: how do you extract the AI text object so that it becomes an AE text layer without completely messing the stacking in the original AI layer?
                • 5. Re: Illustrator CS3 documents in AE CS3
                  Mmh, that's arguable. From what I understand the sole problem is the depth at which objects can be nested plus the inheritance of certain object/ layer attributes that prevent getting a clean DAG path to the data nodes containing the text strings. So more or less it's a problem in the file format itself. Once it could be overcome, the engine would simply render all other data as usual while suppressing the text and create new layers from the text strings instead. Anyway, this discussion is better saved for otehr places. ;-)

Mylenium