6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2008 7:11 AM by Todd_Kopriva Branched to a new discussion.

Is the manual wrong or am I missing something?

Just trying to get my head around speed graphs, which I've always found a bit tricky, & I came across this in the manual (page 306):

Note: Like the value graph, the speed graph displays x, y and z (3D only) values in different colours: x values are red, y values are green, and z values are blue.

Well... No they aren't.

I'm sitting here looking at the speed graph for a layer & the line is white with yellow handles.

I'd love the speed graph to be in colour so is the manual wrong or am I just not getting it?

(Prepares to be very embarrassed!)
        • 1. Re: Is the manual wrong or am I missing something?
          Level 1
          The red, green, and blue values are displayed only when you're editing the value graph or when show reference graph is turned on while you're editing the speed graph. You'll find the switches under the second icon from the left at the bottom of the graph window.
          • 2. Re: Is the manual wrong or am I missing something?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8
            As Rick says, the red, green, and blue curves only apply to the value graph (including the reference value graph that you can show in the speed graph). The Help document is misleading at best here---and really is just wrong.

The best way to point out errors in the Help document is to use the Help document on the Web and click the Add Comment button at the bottom of the offending page: "Work with the speed graph".

The fact that you cite a page number instead of a URL tells me that you're not using the Help document on the Web. Please, only ever use the Help document on the Web: http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/8.0. And tell everyone that you know to do likewise. Pretty please?

I post frequent updates to After Effects Help on the Web, including fixing errors like these. Your printed book will never receive these updates, nor will the Help document installed on your hard disk.
            • 3. Re: Is the manual wrong or am I missing something?
              Level 1
              Thanks.

I started off using the web based help but a) I find a book much easier to read, b) I can read a book over a coffee in a non-wifi area & c) When I'm using the book in conjunction with the software, even though it's only a key command, I find it easier to have the book in front of me than keep swapping back & forth between AE & the help doc.

In future I will refer to the on line manual if & when I discover stuff like this & then post any comments as instructed.

Such as this one:

With reference to this page:

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/8.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7d86. html

Headed:

Modify Bezier direction handles

The first sentence states:

In the Graph Editor, keyframes that use Bezier interpolation have direction handles attached to them. You can retract, extend, or rotate the direction handles to fine-tune the Bezier interpolation curve.

I have been unable to rotate handles in the graph editor. Is this entry wrong or am I just not getting it?
              • 4. Re: Is the manual wrong or am I missing something?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                I understand. If you want to read printed material, I recommend downloading the PDF and printing off sections as you need them. The PDF version of Help is updated each time the HTML version on the Web is updated. I've made several hundred changes, including fixing many errors, since the book was printed.

You can get the up-to-date PDF documents here:
                http://www.adobe.com/go/documentation

> "In the Graph Editor, keyframes that use Bezier interpolation
                > have direction handles attached to them. You can retract, extend,
                > or rotate the direction handles to fine-tune the Bezier interpolation
                > curve."
                >
                > I have been unable to rotate handles in the graph editor. Is this
                > entry wrong or am I just not getting it?

You can rotate the Bezier direction handles of a value graph. I'll post back in a little while with more details.
                • 5. Re: Is the manual wrong or am I missing something?
                  Level 1
                  Very much appreciated.

This is the kind of feedback that makes a real difference to the "user experience".
                  • 6. Re: Is the manual wrong or am I missing something?
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                    > You can rotate the Bezier direction handles of a value graph.
                    > I'll post back in a little while with more details.

Here's what I did to test and make sure that you can rotate Bezier direction handles in the Graph Editor:

1. Press Ctrl+N to create a new composition.
                    2. Press Ctrl+Y to create a new sold-color layer.
                    3. Press Shift+F3 to switch to the Graph Editor.
                    4. Press Alt+Shift+S to add a keyframe to the Scale property.
                    5. Press Page Down to move the current-time indicator to the next frame.
                    6. Press Alt+Shift+S to add another keyframe to the Scale property.
                    7. Click the Convert Selected Keyframes To Auto Bezier button at the bottom of the Graph Editor.
                    8. Drag the Bezier direction handle around.

My guess is that you were trying to rotate Bezier handles in the speed graph. You can extend and retract (but not rotate) handles in the speed graph.