20 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2008 6:44 AM by David Wigforss-Hv1BNN

AUDIO help

ok PLEASE somebody help me out here in ENGLISH! I have done so much reading and tutorials and am getting no where on the most basic subject. I dont understand how to get audio to work with my videos in after effects. I used virtual dub like i was told but supposedly its like an editor on its own and i didnt understand how to really save the right format in order to get audio to work with AE. I did though save in wav form and that did work in AE but it was choppy and it only had the audio of my video so i had two differnt files, and even then it still wasnt working right. I even have action movie essentials, and the audio on that isnt working as well. I really need like a step by step guide or like to use windows meeting space with somebody to help me out. I need this ASAP please! thanks for the help
        • 1. Re: AUDIO help
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Sami, if you really need this to be a live session, contact Adobe Support. It goes way beyond the scope of this forum. Your problem is a general Windows problem most likely, which will require you to dig into your hardware manager and possibly install a different driver for your chipset...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: AUDIO help
            Level 1
            Sami Sultan wrote:
            > ok PLEASE somebody help me out here in ENGLISH! I have done so much reading and tutorials and am getting no where on the most basic subject. I dont understand how to get audio to work with my videos in after effects. I used virtual dub like i was told but supposedly its like an editor on its own and i didnt understand how to really save the right format in order to get audio to work with AE. I did though save in wav form and that did work in AE but it was choppy and it only had the audio of my video so i had two differnt files, and even then it still wasnt working right. I even have action movie essentials, and the audio on that isnt working as well. I really need like a step by step guide or like to use windows meeting space with somebody to help me out. I need this ASAP please! thanks for the help

Take your file, open it in VirtualDub, Export it using Save As Avi. Use
            the Radius Cinepak codec as its pretty darn generic. Audio Tab -
            Uncompressed PCM.

Export your whole file to a new one, the video and audio will be
            together. You should be able to use this in AE.
            • 3. Re: AUDIO help
              Level 1
              ok i did everything you said up to " Audio Tab -
              Uncompressed PCM.

Export your whole file to a new one, the video and audio will be
              together. You should be able to use this in AE."

Your supposed to import your new avi with the radius codec and then go to audio tab and change it to uncompressed pcm right? well the compression tab under audio was grayed out so i couldnt click it, but i think i found out whats wrong. When i imported my files i got this warning every time: AVI: Variable Bitrate (VBR) audio detected. VBR audio in AVI is non-standard and you may encounter sync errors up to 0ms when attempting to extract WAV files or playing in some players..."

What does this mean exactly and how do i fix it? thanks
              • 4. Re: AUDIO help
                Level 1
                Sami Sultan wrote:
                > ok i did everything you said up to " Audio Tab -
                > Uncompressed PCM.
                >
                > Export your whole file to a new one, the video and audio will be
                > together. You should be able to use this in AE."
                >
                > Your supposed to import your new avi with the radius codec and then go to audio tab and change it to uncompressed pcm right? well the compression tab under audio was grayed out so i couldnt click it, but i think i found out whats wrong. When i imported my files i got this warning every time: AVI: Variable Bitrate (VBR) audio detected. VBR audio in AVI is non-standard and you may encounter sync errors up to 0ms when attempting to extract WAV files or playing in some players..."
                >
                > What does this mean exactly and how do i fix it? thanks

I'm guessing you have a DIVX or Xvid file you d/l'ed off the web somewhere.

Try this tutorial.

http://www.videohelp.com/oldguides/virtualdubedit
                • 5. Re: AUDIO help
                  Level 1
                  ok 1)thanks for the tutorial and help

2)i did get that vid off the web, but its not divx or xvid format. its just avi

3) in the tutorial, it doesnt really explain what to do. I got the virutal dub mp3 freeze but all it said was, "f a window popups and says that VBR audio stream detected you must use Virtualdub MP3 Freeze or Nandub or you will get audio sync problem. Install Virtualdub MP3 Freeze/Nandub and follow these steps again." I tried messing with it but no luck. The audio compression was not grayed out this time thankfully, but it was already uncompressed like u said so i left it, but even if i changed it it still didnt work.

4) and also I even have action movie essentials, and the audio on that doesnt even come on. Only the video

thanks a million
                  • 6. Re: AUDIO help
                    Level 1
                    Sami Sultan wrote:
                    > ok 1)thanks for the tutorial and help
                    >
                    > 2)i did get that vid off the web, but its not divx or xvid format.
                    > its just avi

Again, there is no such thing as 'just avi'. Divx and Xivd files
                    typically have Avi extensions. Get Gspot
                    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/gspot.cfm
                    A super handy bit of freeware that exists solely to tell you the audio
                    and video codecs used in a file.

> 3) in the tutorial, it doesnt really explain what to do. I got the
                    > virutal dub mp3 freeze but all it said was, "f a window popups and
                    > says that VBR audio stream detected you must use Virtualdub MP3
                    > Freeze or Nandub or you will get audio sync problem. Install
                    > Virtualdub MP3 Freeze/Nandub and follow these steps again." I tried
                    > messing with it but no luck. The audio compression was not grayed out
                    > this time thankfully, but it was already uncompressed like u said so
                    > i left it, but even if i changed it it still didnt work.
                    >
                    > 4) and also I even have action movie essentials, and the audio on
                    > that doesnt even come on. Only the video
                    >
                    > thanks a million

Try the Super video converter.
                    http://www.videohelp.com/guides/category/convert-articles-4;43#942

Scroll down a bit to the link to a PDF file tutorial on using Super. Its
                    less complex than virtualdub
                    • 7. Re: AUDIO help
                      Level 1
                      THANK YOU...i used GSpot, even though it didnt really help me, but then I dled the super converter and then i converted to avi with mpeg-4 and WAV - (pcm 16 little-endian) and finally after I encoded the audio box showed up in AE. I still have a couple of much simpler questions though.If I press play regularly in the box in AE, the audio doesnt play, only video, but audio plays when I press period on number pad. Is this normal and how can I get audio to play regularly in real time with the video? Also, do I have to convert all of my action movie essentials as well? I would assume they would be the easiest to work with AE since it was made for it. thanks for all the help
                      • 8. Re: AUDIO help
                        Level 1
                        Sami Sultan wrote:
                        > THANK YOU...i used GSpot, even though it didnt really help me, but
                        > then I dled the super converter and then i converted to avi with
                        > mpeg-4 and WAV - (pcm 16 little-endian) and finally after I encoded
                        > the audio box showed up in AE. I still have a couple of much simpler
                        > questions though.If I press play regularly in the box in AE, the
                        > audio doesnt play, only video, but audio plays when I press period on
                        > number pad. Is this normal and how can I get audio to play regularly
                        > in real time with the video? Also, do I have to convert all of my
                        > action movie essentials as well? I would assume they would be the
                        > easiest to work with AE since it was made for it. thanks for all the
                        > help

If you look up at the Ram Preview box, make sure the audio is enabled. I
                        seem to recall getting this on occasion myself.

To be frank, AE really isn't the best app unless your planning to do
                        some specific work adding different layers, or other effects. Exactly
                        what are you using AE to do to these clips?
                        • 9. Re: AUDIO help
                          David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
                          Sami = press the Ram Preview button (last one on right in Time Controls window, or press 0 on numpad) to hear audio and see video.
                          • 10. Re: AUDIO help
                            Level 1
                            well im using AE for like real special effects like gun shots and muzzle flashes and blood. Thats why I have action movie essentials. thanks though to everyone. and lastly, do I need to convert all of action movie essentials in order for the audio to play in AE?
                            • 11. Re: AUDIO help
                              Level 1
                              O and also...the ram preview button when you acutally get the audio and video working, is there anyway you can slow it down? its like on hyperspeed lol
                              • 12. Re: AUDIO help
                                If you set it to Auto, it will play at the comp speed. If it's still playing too fast, you should slow it down in your comp (with timeremap, time warp, etc).
                                • 13. Re: AUDIO help
                                  Level 1
                                  ok if your talking about resolution then yes it is on auto. And i tried using the time warp effect but i was unsuccessful in like everything with it. I added the effect to the clip but then clip would start playing bareley on its own...what is a good speed? or any other tips?
                                  • 14. Re: AUDIO help
                                    I'm talking about the fps listed in the time controls window. Also, what fps is your comp set to?

I work at 24fps, or 23.976 if I need to remove pulldown from footage from avid (29.97).

Try timeremap - adjust the keyframes to your likening.
                                    • 15. Re: AUDIO help
                                      Level 1
                                      finally thank you man...i was on 60 frames....i set it to 24 and audio worked good with video. but tell me if this is right. in order to view the video with the audio you have to press the ram preview button and THEN press the audio button in time controls and when it starts over it works fine? cause thats the only way its workin for me...and also, when i play it it repeats after a certain point. I cant get it to keep playing throughout the video. thanks for the help
                                      • 16. Re: AUDIO help
                                        use the keyboard shortcut to ram preview - 0 on numpad. You pretty much shouldnt ever have to touch the time controls window....

Your footage may be 29.97.. Duplicate you footage in the project window, interpolate the footage as 29.97, drag down to the new comp icon at bottom of project window - that creates a new comp based on the specs of your footage (size, fps, par). Try playing that - you should probably set the time controls window to auto - that way it'll play at the comp speed.

When you're feeling really luck (punk, lol), there's also a shift-ram preview that you can setup, to playback at half speed, skip frames, etc.
                                        • 17. Re: AUDIO help
                                          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                                          Leave the audio switch ON all the time in the RAM preview pallet.

To see vision and audio together, use RAM preview (press numpad 0).
                                          RAM previews only last as long as the amount of available RAM in your system. To get longer previews, reduce resolution, reduce frame rate or buy more RAM.

To play audio from the Current Time Indicator, press numpad period (.)

To scrub audio on the timeline, hold Cmnd /Ctrl key and scrub.

The Action Movie Essentials elements are designed specifically to be used in After Effects. If AE won't import them without conversion, there is a problem with the codec management/installations of your computer.
                                          • 18. Re: AUDIO help
                                            Level 1
                                            ok i can get pretty long previews now after lowering all that stuff and im pretty sure i have enough ram (3gigs). but audio still will not play when i press numpad 0. only video. Do i have to go through the movie once or something before itll play? its also going really fast as well...i have frame rate at 24...
                                            • 19. Re: AUDIO help
                                              Level 1
                                              Sami Sultan wrote:
                                              > ok i can get pretty long previews now after lowering all that stuff and im pretty sure i have enough ram (3gigs). but audio still will not play when i press numpad 0. only video. Do i have to go through the movie once or something before itll play? its also going really fast as well...i have frame rate at 24...

I know what when I ram preview, it goes through once, as various speeds
                                              as it renders it, then loops back to beginning and plays real time. Let
                                              it do that and see if you get your sound to play normally.
                                              • 20. Re: AUDIO help
                                                "Do i have to go through the movie once or something before itll play?"

Yes - it needs to cache the frames into RAM.

And before you say it doesn't play your entire sequence, it can only load so much. Varies depending on your footage, number of clips, effects, etc. If you need to see a long sequence, sometimes it's better to render a temp movie out rather than trying to ram preview.