7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2008 9:41 AM by Andrew Yoole

Best way to export?

Level 1
      After loading in green-screen footage and adding in a splash background using Key-light, what is the best way to get this combined footage back into Premiere Pro CS3?

I'm assuming I should simply export but it seems to be a very slow process and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something easy.

Should I compress? I have not edited the footage yet and I would prefer to avoid compressing so that I do not lose quality.

Thank you!
        • 1. Re: Best way to export?
          David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
          Use the render queue instead of export. Make Movie...

I suggest rendering to a lossless codec, such as QT: Animation, Best quality.

Lossless means it compresses it, but there's no quality loss, and it's good for moving footage between apps; lossy is for delivery to web for example, like copying vhs tapes, there's quality loss every time you render to that.

Take a look at the online help with rendering and the render queue.
          • 2. Re: Best way to export?
            Level 1
            This is the original poster,

Per the help files...

"Select the composition from which to make a movie in the Project panel, and then do one of the following to add the composition to the render queue:"

What about when we are trying to combine two pieces of video (green screen plus background) is that considered a composition?
            • 3. Re: Best way to export?
              Level 1
              madamski@adobeforums.com wrote:
              > After loading in green-screen footage and adding in a splash background using Key-light, what is the best way to get this combined footage back into Premiere Pro CS3?
              >
              > I'm assuming I should simply export but it seems to be a very slow process and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something easy.
              >
              > Should I compress? I have not edited the footage yet and I would prefer to avoid compressing so that I do not lose quality.
              >
              > Thank you!

Can't you use the AE Comp directly in Premiere? Or is that just in a Mac?
              • 4. Re: Best way to export?
                Level 1
                But with copying, aren't we stil dealing with individual files? How would we copy (or whatever) so that the background and foreground are the same file?
                • 5. Re: Best way to export?
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                  If you have enough juice on your system (as in having enough RAM), you could attempt to use Dynamic Link (in Premiere, simply choose Dynamic Link --> Import AE composition). However, it will not do anything in terms of speed. The keying still needs to be rendered over the background and this is in general a slow, non-realtime process, so you don't really gain any advantages in terms of that beyond trimming of unnecessary areas later on. Maybe you could simply edit the clips first (plus some minor handle at the start and end) and then import the edited project into AE to save render time. If you need to sync it with background action, simply use one of Premiere's simple color keyers as placeholder. As for compression: entirely depends on your footage format and CoDec. If you are using a dedicated capture hardware from AJA or Blackmagic, this would not do any harm. Any clip rendered to these CoDecs would act like natively captured footage. I'd only be wary if you are just using palin DV/ HDV and in such cases you should render an uncompressed QT file from AE.

Mylenium
                  • 6. Re: Best way to export?
                    Level 1
                    Ok thank you to all of the help so far. My students were able to:

Capture video from green screen in PP
                    Import it into AE and tweak
                    Save AE project and import it into PP (as a AE project...crazy?!?!)
                    Looks great!

Now, my next question is this:

We did this on-location green screen shoot with 3 cameras. We now need to set up our side angles (cam 1 and cam 3). Do we create a NEW AE project? I'm assuming if we simply use the same one it will overwrite what we have already done; since all I imported into PP was an AE project (and not a seperate exported file).

We are planning on using 3 seperate AE projects to get each shot right with the green screen. The other shots are angled so we'll be adjusting the background to match as best we can.

Does this make sense? AE was something I hadn't planned on using until next school year but I have an eager group of great students and we decided to give it all a try. Just wanted to explain some of the likely novice questions that have been popping up in this thread from the students (posting under my name) or myself.

Thanks again!
                    • 7. Re: Best way to export?
                      Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                      Not 100% sure of the requirements of your project, but my personal workflow would be:

Import footage to Premiere Pro.

Edit in Premiere Pro, keeping angles 1, 2 and 3 on separate layers,

Import to AE, either using Dynamic Link, or as 3 uncompressed Quicktimes (angles 1, 2 and 3).

Set up Keylight keys for each layer (1,2 & 3)

Export uncompressed Quicktime file.

Import to Premiere Pro for final edit/output.