4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2008 7:54 AM by Jeff Bellune

resaving video without losing quality

I am new to after effect and having a problem exporting clips after applying effect. Im using version CS3. I am capturing video from a panasonic camcorder (pvgs150). When capturing using panasonic's software the video says 'panasonic dv codec'(avi). After applying a stabilization effect I tried to export the video, but the resulting quality is not very good. I tried exporting using every different variable I could find (avi, dv, different frame rates, no compression, interlaced, progressive). I cant figure out how to resave the video without diminishing the quality. I tried capturing the video with Premiere as microsoft dv.(avi) Same problem.

Can anyone help?
        • 1. Re: resaving video without losing quality
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Well, the joys of DV. The issue is in the compression to begin with and then it hinges all on retaining the correct footage interpretation throughout. Still, it will never be as good as the original source. Any artifacts that were part of the original image will be treated as valid pixels by AE when it expands the colorspace to full RGB. Therefore when the edges of the artifacts get rotated ands moved during a stabilize, they will become part of the output as well, even more so when you once more render to a compressed format where the aforementioned edge artifacts will generate new artifacts. You wil lsimply have to get used to it or limit yourself to simple re-editing your footage with hard cuts in Premiere or so (which will not cause recompression).

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: resaving video without losing quality
            Level 1
            p_n@adobeforums.com wrote:
            > I am new to after effect and having a problem exporting clips after applying effect. Im using version CS3. I am capturing video from a panasonic camcorder (pvgs150). When capturing using panasonic's software the video says 'panasonic dv codec'(avi). After applying a stabilization effect I tried to export the video, but the resulting quality is not very good. I tried exporting using every different variable I could find (avi, dv, different frame rates, no compression, interlaced, progressive). I cant figure out how to resave the video without diminishing the quality. I tried capturing the video with Premiere as microsoft dv.(avi) Same problem.
            >
            > Can anyone help?

Rendering out from most any program is as much art as science it seems.
            Its the kind of subject that can go on and on. Once you get into the
            area of transcoding and compression you almost always have to deal with
            various tradeoffs on size vs quality.

To offer perhaps one quick reply that may be useful, when I export
            footage from AE to use in other apps, I usually use the Quicktime
            Animation settings, (millions of colors +) which seems to preserve
            quality as well as the alpha channel.

One thing I saw in your post, you said you captured using the panasonic
            software, if the capture is to DV format, then, its probably moot.
            However, apps like AE and Premiere can capture directly from a camcorder
            without the aid of third party apps.
            • 3. Re: resaving video without losing quality
              David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
              "However, apps like AE and Premiere can capture directly from a camcorder without the aid of third party apps."

AE can capture now?
              • 4. Re: resaving video without losing quality
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                >AE can capture now?

If you consider "File>Import>Capture in Premiere Pro" to be "capturing in AE".

:)