5 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2008 9:04 AM by (QMP)

32 bpc to 8bpc on export?

Hi I seem to be having a problem exporing my 32 bpc project.

I have DV footage that i have applied color correction to in 32bpc mode. It looks much better than when i apply the color effects in 8bpc mode.

I am simply trying to export the color corrected footage back to microsoft DV format.
      I think it is exporting the DV as 32bpc too, as the 30 minute file is over 40gb.

when i put it back to 8bpc the filesize is a much easier to handle 6gb.

How can i work in 32bpc mode, but still export that down to 8bpc?
      Thanks for any help.
        • 1. Re: 32 bpc to 8bpc on export?
          A. Cobb Level 3
          What is most likely happening is that you are exporting to a lossless codec, which will still be 8bpc when written to disk, but the 32bpc effects are introducing additional color detail into your movie (or, conversely, the 8bpc effects are stripping out detail). Detail is what causes lossless file sizes to balloon, and the fact that you say your video "looks better" clearly indicates that the resulting movie is going to be different, so I'd say this is a good bet.
          • 2. Re: 32 bpc to 8bpc on export?
            Level 1
            Thanks for the reply. I am exporting to the Microsoft DV lossless codec.
            and yes, the color effects are clearly adding more detail.

I thought, though maybe i am wrong, that was a fixed rate codec, meaning all files will be the same filesize (based on time)

Even if there is more detail, shouldn't the filesize be the same as it is uncompressed?

----------------
            My orignal DV files (30 min NTSC 16:9) are about 6gb.
            The colorized ones are exporting at 45gb.

Can any one then recommend how i can export these without losing quality, but retaining the 6gb filesize?

im using cs3 on windows.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: 32 bpc to 8bpc on export?
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
              "DV" and "lossless" are mutually exclusive terms.

You can export to the MSDV codec, or you can export to a lossless codec, but not both. DV involves compression, and it is not a lossless compression algorithm.
              • 4. Re: 32 bpc to 8bpc on export?
                A. Cobb Level 3
                i I thought, though maybe i am wrong, that was a fixed rate codec, meaning all files will be the same filesize (based on time)

Lossless codecs can't be fixed-rate by definition. In order to fix the data rate of compressed video, some information has to be discarded. Lossless formats don't throw out data.

i Can any one then recommend how i can export these without losing quality, but retaining the 6gb filesize?

Not really. The 6 GB file size comes at the cost of losing color data and detail. If you don't want to lose quality, lossless is the way to go. There are lossy compressors out there that do a better job than DV, but there will always be tradeoffs, and lossy compression should typically be reserved for delivery, if it is used at all. The best advice I can offer is that disks are really cheap these days.
                • 5. Re: 32 bpc to 8bpc on export?
                  Level 1
                  Thanks all for your comments. Looks like im going to have to grab a few more HDDs