3 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2008 3:09 PM by Andrew Yoole

The best DOF plugin for AE CS3?

jimmy@access.se Level 1
      Hi! I have done some things in "Depth of Field Generator PRO" (dofpro.com) but I wounder if there are better alternatives? I have downloadet the Lenscare plugin from Frischluft.com that seems to do rather good job. Are there any better ones out there?

Regards / Jimmy
        • 1. Re: The best DOF plugin for AE CS3?
          Joey Morelli Level 1
          A plug-in isn't always the solution. Sometimes it just looks like a plug-in was added and that's the worst thing that can happen to a project. This effect can be attained without plug-ins...with patience, rotoscoping, feathered masks and well placed keyframed blurs.

To my knowledge, dofpro doesn't have a product for AE so where did you use it?.
          • 2. Re: The best DOF plugin for AE CS3?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            The question is, what kind of DOF you want simulate. Lenscare is good, but tends to look too artificial on occasion due to always using an iris shape, which is not necessarily how all realworld lenses work. There's certainly a plethora of other such tools in Sapphire, Tinderbox and other suites, but you may wish to download the trials first. In a funny way, often a simple box blur or compound blur will often look more "real".

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: The best DOF plugin for AE CS3?
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              What is it about AE's own camera DOF that you are unhappy with?

Here's a music clip I made recently that uses lots of camera DOF - I think it worked out okay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmxs0RHUDEw