6 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2008 5:40 AM by A. Cobb

Shatter Effect : Is this a Bug?

Hi

I was using the shatter effect last week (AE CS3, Mac OS 10.5.2, Mac Pro) after not having used it for years. Anyway, I had a layer which I wanted to shatter at the end. So I split the layer where I wanted the effect to occur and added the shatter effect to the end half. However all I could see in the layer was the final state of the shatter effect. Despite being applied to a separate layer (the beginning having been effectively trimmed off with the split) the effect was still being applied from the start of the media! I expected the effect to apply only to the visible footage.

I won't lie and say this didn't cost me a lot of time ... I tried to repeat the effect on another computer... but used the whole clip as a sample and so it worked fine! Then I started ploughing through plug in versions .... I'll leave it there! However when I finally twigged that the effect was always operating on the whole media clip I was able to work around by animating the radius from the clip start to it's IN point on my layer.

Seems odd though.... unworkable on a long clip!

Is this a bug? Or am I missing something fundamental?

Thanks

Lee
        • 1. Re: Shatter Effect : Is this a Bug?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          That's the way Shatter has always worked - it recognizes the start of the source footage, not the in-point of the layer.

You can work around it by precomposing the layer, by using time remapping, or animating the radius and force parameters.
          • 2. Re: Shatter Effect : Is this a Bug?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            Yepp, Andrew is right. Strangely enough the simulation time is derived from the absolute comp time, not the layer's relative time. You therefore need to create keyframes for the forces if you want to change the start of the simulation.

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: Shatter Effect : Is this a Bug?
              Level 1
              Thanks for the clarification...

Seems mighty odd to me, but I hardly ever use plugs like this. Just enough time in between to forget little things like this!!

Lee
              • 4. Re: Shatter Effect : Is this a Bug?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                Yes, it's odd and one could consider it a bug, though on other levels it makes perfect sense. Depending on your personal opinion, feel free to report your thoughts to:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Mylenium
                • 5. Re: Shatter Effect : Is this a Bug?
                  Level 1
                  Sounds to me like you've missed the most important part of controlling shatter. There's never a need to split a layer. All you have to do is animate the force size, or value, or position to shatter the layer where and when you want it to.

Shatter is based on a real world model. In real life, if you want to shatter something you have to apply a force to an object. In AE you can adjust and animate the size of the force, the position of the force, and the amount of the force. Set size to 0 and nothing will happen. Move the force behind or in front of the layer and nothing will happen. Set the value of the force to 0 and nothing will happen. It's just like real life. By default Force 1 is set to break apart most of your layer. Force 2 is available for a second kick to the pieces.

I've never figured out why most users seem to miss this concept. If force 1 is 0 then there's nothing to make the layer shatter. Just set it to 0, Set the keyframe as a hold keyframe, then move down the time line to where you want the effect to begin and add value to the force 1.

You should also try moving the position of the force or animating the size.
                  • 6. Re: Shatter Effect : Is this a Bug?
                    A. Cobb Level 3
                    I think the problem for most people is that simulations are so different from other effects. Most effects derive their motion either from explicitly set keyframes or from the movement in the underlying footage. Simulations, on the other hand, have a life of their own, and must be pushed and prodded in ways that can seem superficially counterintuitive, though they are reasonably intuitive given an understanding of the way AE applies effects, which might be a contradiction...

And just to clarify Mylenium's comment above, Shatter is based on the layer time, not the comp time. It is the layer's in and out points that Shatter ignores. But then, so does every other effect I've ever used. It is AE's render engine that cares about the in and out points, not the effects per se.