4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2008 9:59 PM by Mylenium

Strange ae black flickering problem

Level 1
      I have newest version of ae and I have pmw-ex1 camera. When I edit ex1 footage in ae I have this strange black flickering. Video goes black at random places and random time. I have a example footage to show what I´m talking about. It only affets video footage so I imagine that it might be a format issue. Doesn´t ae support mpeg4 footage from sonys ex1??

Here is the link for the footage:

http://download.yousendit.com/9C395B050F6DE63F

You can see the effect at the end of footage...

Any help??

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Strange ae black flickering problem
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          >You can see the effect at the end of footage...

Well, considering that this the third thread this week pertaining to this, it's obviously not that easy. In your case you are probably experiencing insufficient hardware support for footage decoding and playback (pretty much all MPEG stuff is handled by MediaCore which uses your graphics card for more performance). Does the issue occur on another system also? You could also try to temporarily remove the AE OpenGL pluin (C:/Program Files/Adobe/After Effects CS3/Support Files/Plug-Ins/Extensions) to free up resources and make AE use a different mode of operation also with the footage... what graphics card do you use?

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Strange ae black flickering problem
            Level 1
            Thanks for reply,

I haven´t try footage on other systems. I have to try that tomorrow. I have to also try to remove the open gl plugin.

I´m using Nvidia 8600 GTS-HDMI graphic card
            • 3. Re: Strange ae black flickering problem
              Level 1
              Hey,

I tried to remove the open gl plug in, but no luck. Still the same black flickering on playback and in exported material . Is there something else I can do?? Material is useless this way
              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Strange ae black flickering problem
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                Mmh, short of programming your own decoder matrix, I have no idea how to coerce AE into playing your footage directly. A possible way of using your stuff might be to rename it to MOV, then import it as GIF/ legacy Quicktime. this way it will be in the hands of QT, but obviously very slow to use. Failing that, you possibly will have to convert it to another format using SUPER© or VirtualDub. if you choose to convert to a different flavor of MPEG in SUPER©, it should be fast without changing file size to much. If it knows how to interpret the streams, it will to just a quick transcode and re-align the GOPs and stream info...

Mylenium