5 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2008 5:50 AM by (Kugar13)

Still new to AE questions

Level 1
      Hey guys,

This is my second time using AE, so I'm still kind of new to it. I've got a few questions, if you don't mind...

1) How do you remove an effect from an adjustment layer without deleting an adjustment layer?

2) Can you add multiple effects to an adjustment layer? If so, can you turn them off and on individually?

3) If you import a file from Premiere Pro 2.0 will the changed to the material update in Premiere?

4) Can you tab in the timeline between adjustment layers (similar to tabbing in premiere between clips)?

5) What setting do you use to export the footage using identical setting used in import (items imported via: import > file, and dynamic link)?

Thanks guys!!!!!

Kugar
        • 1. Re: Still new to AE questions
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          >1) How do you remove an effect from an adjustment layer without
          >deleting an adjustment layer?

As you would any other - select it in the effect controls panel or timeline (hit E to reveal effects for selected layers) and delete

>2) Can you add multiple effects to an adjustment layer? If so, can >you turn them off and on individually?

Of course. Any layer in AE can hold an unlimited number of effects. To disable them temporarily, use the small fx toggle buttons associated with each effect.

>3) If you import a file from Premiere Pro 2.0 will the changed to the >material update in Premiere?

No. All items will become native AE items after that and AE looses all knowledge that the were ever imported this way. This is strictly a one way ticket.

>4) Can you tab in the timeline between adjustment layers (similar to >tabbing in premiere between clips)?

You can walk the clips by using the timeline navigation shortcuts. Look them up in the help files. Just walking up and down the layer stack can be done using Ctrl+the arrow keys for up and down

>5) What setting do you use to export the footage using identical >setting used in import (items imported via: import > file, and >dynamic link)?

Read the manual about composition settings, render settings and output modules. This topic is way too complex to cover in some quick forum posts.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Still new to AE questions
            Level 1
            Thank you Mylenium! I really appreciate your help!!!
            • 3. Re: Still new to AE questions
              David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
              Be aware that some effects must be applied to solids, rather than adjustment layers...
              • 4. Re: Still new to AE questions
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                >> 1) How do you remove an effect from an adjustment layer
                >> without deleting an adjustment layer?
                >
                > As you would any other - select it in the effect controls panel
                > or timeline (hit E to reveal effects for selected layers) and delete

"Delete or disable effects or animation presets"

>> 2) Can you add multiple effects to an adjustment layer?
                >> If so, can >you turn them off and on individually?
                >
                > Of course. Any layer in AE can hold an unlimited number
                > of effects. To disable them temporarily, use the small fx
                > toggle buttons associated with each effect.

"Create an adjustment layer"

"Delete or disable effects or animation presets"

>> 4) Can you tab in the timeline between adjustment layers
                >> (similar to >tabbing in premiere between clips)?
                >
                > You can walk the clips by using the timeline navigation shortcuts.
                > Look them up in the help files. Just walking up and down the layer
                > stack can be done using Ctrl+the arrow keys for up and down

"Shortcuts for working with layers"

>> 5) What setting do you use to export the footage using
                >> identical setting used in import (items imported via: import >
                >> file, and dynamic link)?
                >
                > Read the manual about composition settings, render settings and
                > output modules. This topic is way too complex to cover in some
                > quick forum posts.

This general page is a jumping-off point to various sections that address this sort of question: "Planning your project".

Kugar, I'm glad that you're getting answers here in this forum. And as long as kind folks like Mylenium and Andrew keep answering these questions, this will work for you. However, I think that you'll find that you'll get better answers over time if you spend more time reading the available documentation and previous forum posts before you ask questions. Personally, I'm always happier to expend my effort to help someone out when I see that they're expending their own effort to help themselves as much as possible, too.
                • 5. Re: Still new to AE questions
                  Level 1
                  Hey guys. As always thanks for your help. Instead of posting a excuse for asking trivial questions all the time I'm going to apologize for flooding the board with a ton of questions that I could find the answers for on my own. Sorry guys.

I have to admit. This is the best forum ever. I am a huge fan of Adobe products, the moderators here do a wonderful job, the users are awesome, and everyone is very professional.

Thanks again