5 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2008 12:07 PM by bogiesan-gyyClL

"pond ripple" on multiple path shapes - how to?

Hello

I have a few "islands" that need to appear in the water. They have a blue 3D layer below them that has 4 paths on it which are outlines of the islands.

I'd like to create little "pond ripple" waves around and between the islands. They can intersect, but it would be best if they canceled each other out when they met in the water.

I am trying to use the Radio Waves effect, and also Trapcode 3D Stroke, with no good results. Since my paths are odd shapes, the waves don't expand off the shape of the path. In stead, the waves are just scaled versions of the paths, which looks odd.

Am I describing this well enough? Is there a good way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

-----------S
        • 1. Re: "pond ripple" on multiple path shapes - how to?
          bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
          Wave World. It's completely physically accurate for wave actions that rebound, intersect, fade, and crawl up shorelines. You get two wave generators per effect. I do not know how you would generate waves that go around three islands with two applications of WW.
          However, WW is not easy to use. Very confusing. It outputs a grayscal map that is used with Colorama to create a colored water sceme.
          Important thing to realize it that the height map requires a nice fade from black to white to represent a shoreline.

bogiesan
          • 2. Re: "pond ripple" on multiple path shapes - how to?
            Level 1
            That's an incredible solution, but I tried it, and I don;t think it's going to suit my needs. For one thing, it is a physics simulation that cannot be stopped or influenced once it is started. I can't have perpetual ripples on my water, only ripples that flow throughout the scene based on the influence from the first frame. They eventually stop flowing and the water ends up calm.

Radio Waves are perfect because they are produced "for ever". That means that I can have perpetual little tiny ripples in my scene.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks,

----------------S
            • 3. Re: "pond ripple" on multiple path shapes - how to?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              I don't think that you can resolve this easily. If it gets more complex, you are probably going to require a dedicated simulation software... You could try to manually create a prototype animation by using Minimax, Find Edges and similar effects in complex project of pre-comps where one comp serves as a matte for another to create the contours in the overlapping areas, but it will be pretty hairy and difficult to manage in case it needs to be adjusted later on. Once you have a snippet, you could simply render it and then loop it infinitely.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: "pond ripple" on multiple path shapes - how to?
                Level 1
                Good input. I may try that.

Thanks man, and thanks to Bogie also.

:)

--------S
                • 5. Re: "pond ripple" on multiple path shapes - how to?
                  bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
                  > Radio Waves are perfect because they are produced "for ever". That means that I can have perpetual little tiny ripples in my scene. Is there a solution to this problem?

You do multiple copies of the comp using different WW settings. Render the movies and simply fade between them. WW has keyframable settings for all of the physics. You can reduce speed and lower the floor.

but, yes, with realism comes complexity and that brings along other issues.

bogiesan