4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2008 11:43 AM by Navarro Parker

Bounce DV

Hello. I head that if i bounce a video to the computer straight from the camera that it would ruin the camera. Is that true? if it is, what is the best way to bounce a video to the computer?
        • 1. Re: Bounce DV
          Ko Maruyama User Group Manager
          Generally, it won't ruin the camera.

What happens is that you're using the play heads to control the tape play when you're exporting to the computer. While it's not a bad thing, it does shorten the life of those parts.

If you record 1,000 hours, and play it back to your computer, 1,000 hours; you're running those transport parts on the camera for 2,000 hours.

Usually a playback deck isn't as expensive (doesn't have the optical/lens parts). Also, it's easier to service if you need to change parts out.

So it won't damage the camera, but it does put more wear on the parts - - which might not be necessary if you have a playback deck.
          • 2. Re: Bounce DV
            Level 1
            Thanks Ko. Which one is a good and inexpensive playback deck?! thanks
            • 3. Re: Bounce DV
              Ko Maruyama User Group Manager
              If you're considering professional use from this deck, you may want to get a playback deck that handles different formats of tape.

You might be able to find an inexpensive DV-only playback, but it might be quickly outmoded if it doesn't accept other formats of tape as well.

There are all kinds of multi-format playback decks. Look for one that suits your needs well. With all of the different types of units available, it's hard to say which might fit into your production budget/requirement.
              • 4. Re: Bounce DV
                Navarro Parker Level 3
                I just buy cheap $300 miniDV cameras and get the extended warranty. They make inexpensive feed decks.