8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2008 3:16 AM by Mylenium

Graphics-card for after effects

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a graphics-card for using Autodesk Maya and Adobe After Effects and I'm not exactly sure what critiria I'm supposed to look for. could anyone recommand a none expenssive (200$-400$) graphic adaptor?
      will a good Nvidia gs/gt be better than a simple quadro? I was thinking about the Nvidia gt8800, is it good enough for stable renderings and stable work flow?
      Thanks ahead,
      Yotam Rozin
        • 1. Re: Graphics-card for after effects
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          As discussed in many threads here on this forum, the 8800 series is not safe to use with AE and a selection of otehr programs. therefore you should look into other options. I also recommend you spend some time searching this forum. I've personally answered questions regarding this many times over, and there's no need to repeat a lot that has been said already. ;-)

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Graphics-card for after effects
            Navarro Parker Level 3
            AE's OpenGL capabilities are overstated (or overmarketed). Any modern OpenGL 2.0 card will accelerate AE enough for any project. However, since you mention Maya, that's a whole other ball of wax. The trend in today's graphics cards are with programmable shaders, not polygon throughput (which is what Maya needs). Generally, I would seek a card with the most memory possible.
            • 3. Re: Graphics-card for after effects
              Level 1
              I was looking at the list off graphic cards at the hardware requirements of adobe AE and only found the NVIDIA quadro FX 1500, but not the 1700. Does that mean it isn't supported or is the list just outdated? In other words, would you recommend the quadro fx 1500 or the 1700?
              I couldn't find an answer in the forums, I'm not a very good searcher, hope it's not too big a bother.
              • 4. Re: Graphics-card for after effects
                Navarro Parker Level 3
                New models of graphic cards are released all the time. I'm not sure if Adobe is slow in updating their list, or they wait to update the list until they certify a card.

I would say a newer card is generally fine to use. Just make sure whoever you buy it from has a liberal return policy.
                • 5. Re: Graphics-card for after effects
                  David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
                  I would recommend the 1700 over the 1500, primarily for Maya.. 1700 supports DX10, Shader Model4, and CUDA. Not sure if Maya uses it for Rigid Bodies, but Ageia Physx is being ported to CUDA.
                  • 6. Re: Graphics-card for after effects
                    WHAT about the fact that the new GTX 280 cards is able to use all shader cores for video encoding - and it also uses CUDA and PhysX
                    • 7. Re: Graphics-card for after effects
                      Please keep your questions separate and don't pollute other people's threads. It's impolite and inefficient in terms of avoiding unnecessary "noise" and getting the correct answers from the right people.

Mylenium
                      • 8. Re: Graphics-card for after effects
                        >Does that mean it isn't supported or is the list just outdated?

Neither. But just like normal people, even Adobe tech-lab staff don't buy every single card and sub-model on the market just to test it out (which, given that there are about a dozen new ones each month, is pretty pointless, anyways), so they have to rely on external information wherever possible. This could come from NVidia or elsewhere, but due to the channels involved, it is natural that there may be delays. In general it is however safe to say that cards within the same family of chipsets can be considered as compatible, if one of those cards is listed.

Mylenium