4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2008 12:43 AM by Mylenium

LIGHT DOESN'T CAST SHADOWS.

hi i have a few layers, a camera, and an ambient light. i turn cast shadows on in every layer but it doesn't do anything. i did the same thing a long time ago on another video and it worked, but that was the one and only time it did, what am i doing wrong?
        • 1. Re: LIGHT DOESN'T CAST SHADOWS.
          Ko Maruyama User Group Manager
          Ambient lights fill shadows. Are you sure you didn't want an omni light instead?
          • 2. Re: LIGHT DOESN'T CAST SHADOWS.
            craulmedia Level 1
            "accept light" is on?
            • 3. Re: LIGHT DOESN'T CAST SHADOWS.
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
              > i turn cast shadows on in every layer but it doesn't do anything.

the light must also be set to cast shadows but Ko is correct, ambient lights do not have that option.

the online help system will explain it all to you.

Double-click a light layer in the Timeline panel or select the layer and choose Layer > Light Settings.Casts Shadows Specifies whether the light source causes a layer to cast a shadow. The Accepts Shadows material option must be On for a layer to receive a shadow; this is the default. The Casts Shadows material option must be On for a layer to cast shadows; this is not the default.Light Type Parallel emits directional, unconstrained light from an infinitely distant source. Spot emits light from a source that is constrained by a cone, like the spotlight used in stage productions. Point emits unconstrained omnidirectional light, like the rays from a bare light bulb. Ambient creates light that has no source but rather contributes to the overall brightness of a scene and casts no shadows.
              • 4. Re: LIGHT DOESN'T CAST SHADOWS.
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                Ambient light is what it says - an infinite, non-directional "environment" around your whole scen that scatters/ bleeds light on everything. It does not cast shadows, only directional lights do. Switch to other light types.

Mylenium