7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2008 5:51 AM by (Rick_Gerard)

How to do a simple still to moving video back to still

I want to see if I could use time-remapping freeze frame to create a still of a talking head clip, which then plays the clip, then pause the clip again in a freeze frame.

Its a comp with multiple videos of talking heads which are still frames; one head begins speaking a sound bite, then stops; then another speaks then stops, etc.

I'd rather not have to deal with exporting/importing a still frame for the head and tail of the freeze of the video. But time-remapping still frame doesn't seem to allow for playback after the toggle hold from has been used - unless I'm missing something.

- DBL
        • 1. Re: How to do a simple still to moving video back to still
          Level 1
          Hold keyframes just maintain a value until a keyframe of a different value comes up. You should be able to keyframe after the hold.
          • 2. Re: How to do a simple still to moving video back to still
            Level 1
            When you enable time remapping you get 2 keyframes. The first is the time for the head of the clip, the second is the time for the end of the clip. If you insert a keyframe where you want to hold then select that keyframe and the last keyframe and copy, then delete the last keyframe and move the CTI (current time indicator) to where you want the frozen frame to start playing again and hit paste you will have 4 keyframes in the timeline.

The clip will play at normal speed from keyframe 1 to keyframe 2 because the time between frame keyframe 1 and keyframe 2 didn't change. Now the clip will hold or freeze between Keyframe 2 and keyframe 2 for the amount of time between these keyframes in the timeline. Between Keyframe 3 and keyframe 4 the clip will play at normal speed because the time between keyframe 3 and 4 in the timeline is the same as the difference between the time value of keyframe 3 and 4. If you move only keyframe 3 or keyframe 4 the clip will playback at something different than the normal frame rate.

I hope that's clear. If not, let me know where you're confused.
            • 3. Re: How to do a simple still to moving video back to still
              Level 1
              What type of keyframe would toggle 'off' the hold and allow the video to play in real time again?
              • 4. Re: How to do a simple still to moving video back to still
                Level 1
                You don't use hold keyframes with time remapping. With time remapping the clip plays between two keyframes. The keyframes indicate the original time in the clip. The time it takes to get from one keyframe is determined by the time between the keyframes in the TLW. If you only have 1 keyframe the clip will just repeat that clip.

Take a look at the values for the keyframes. If your comp is displaying timecode and you select one of the keyframes you should see the timecode that corresponds to the time of the clip. Move the keyframe in the timeline and you change when the clip gets to that time code.

Hope this helps.
                • 5. Re: How to do a simple still to moving video back to still
                  Level 1
                  Thanks. This is really helpful. I didn't really grasp how time remapping keyframes work. Now I get how the value of the timecode stays constant with copied keyframes. There's still a little mystery about the end keyframe, but this helps with getting the effect I wanted. Thanks so much.
                  • 6. Re: How to do a simple still to moving video back to still
                    David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
                    "You don't use hold keyframes with time remapping."

Maybe you don't, but I use HOLD keyframes with time remapping VERY frequently. But I have different uses for it, while working in 2D animation.

The keyframes in timeremapping tells AE to display which particular frame to display at that time. If you want sections to loop, you need to have a HOLD keyframe on the last frame of the loop, or else it will try to interpolate to the next keyframe. It's very clean to use time remapping to edit footage; no hundreds of split layers. Typically when I'm ping-ponging footage, I'll place keyframe on the distinct frames (2D primarily has a new drawing every 2 frames), and then copy them and Time reverse the keyframes.

And beyond that, all my lipsync is done by placing mouth shapes on seperate layers, sequence them, and precomp them. I put first drawing for 2 frames, so it's A = frame 0,1; B = frame 2; C=3; E=4; F=5. On top of the precomp, I'll apply Time Remap with HOLD keyframes. Type in which ever frame number to display the correct mouth shape.
                    • 7. Re: How to do a simple still to moving video back to still
                      Level 1
                      Using time remapping to simplify a cell animation type workflow is entirely different than using time remapping to monetarily freeze a video then start it again. Hold keyframes are necessary if you want to jump from one frame to another, but in this case they are neither necessary or a good idea. I've also never used a hold keyframe at the end to loop a video. Never had to. I must not understand why you need one.

What I should have said was that using converting your freeze point keyframe to a hold keyframe is an unnecessary step. You still need to copy the freeze point keyframe and the last keyframe, and then paste them into a new location.