4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2008 7:37 AM by bogiesan-gyyClL

How to create a feather-like drop with an object?

Level 1
      Hello,

I am looking for a feather-like drop with an object?

I am using AECS3.

Anyone have a good tutorial and/or method?

Thanks,

Simon
        • 1. Re: How to create a feather-like drop with an object?
          bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
          You want something to drop like a feather?
          My favorite technique is a holdover from the pre-3D days: Put your object on a CC-Cylinder layer. You can easily set position keyframes that emulate a floating and fluttering descent with wind and resistance, pauses and drops. Then add some spins on the 3 axes of the cylinder.

bogiesan
          • 2. Re: How to create a feather-like drop with an object?
            Level 1
            Cool!

I will have to try that out.

If you know of a tutorial regarding this effect, that would be great.

In the meantime, I will try your method.

Thanks for the tip.

Simon
            • 3. Re: How to create a feather-like drop with an object?
              Level 1
              Hello David,

I just tried it but was a bit unclear how to do your method?

If I put the CC-cylinder effect on the layer (image), it just changes the shape of the image to a cylinder.

Also I was unclear where the options for wind and resistance are?

Could you explain it with a bit more steps? I am new to AECS3.

Thanks,

Simon
              • 4. Re: How to create a feather-like drop with an object?
                bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
                Ah, sorry, I assumed too much. CC Cylinder requires a small object on a large layer. There are no ballistics settings for any of this feather stuff, you create it.

Draw a storyboard of your motion path, what does this falling object do and where does it go on the screen?
                Does it swoop and pause? Imagine a falling leaf. Suggest you buy a copy of FORREST GUMP to deconstruct the feather animation effects.
                Draw that motion path using position keyframes and remember that to create a pause at the top of an arc you need two keyframes.
                (You can complicate this by using a 3D space so your feather moves toward and away from the camera but this can be simulated by scaling your cylinder layer.)

When you get the movement roughed out, you can start playing with the rotation settings for the cylinder object. You will attempt to orient the intrinsic movement of the cylinder with the implied air currents and directional changes. For instance, if the feather is climbing an arc, the rotation will follow the trajectory but at the top of the arc, the feather will pause while the rotation flips it over and then it accelerates in a fall as the feather points downward.

This isn't easy. Nothing in After Effects is easy. But it's direct an fairly intuitive when you start thinking about what a light object will do when it becomes a glider. You just need to understand the implied physics and ballistics. Attempting to make it "real" is likely to make the effect appear overworked.

I can send you a small project file. It's not polished at all, but will give you some idea of what you can play with. dbogieATidahopowerDOTcom replace the AT with "@" and DOT with "."

bogiesan