2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2008 5:20 PM by (Colin_Tse)

Text layer shifting right

We have a template used for years and it works fine. It is a simple aep created in AE6.5, with only a key-framed text layer (position only) composited on top of a pre-rendered QT, then below is a QT background.

Recently we have replaced our old Mac G5 with a new intel quad-core mac pro, and strange thing happens.

The text layer in the same aep when opened in AE6.5 moves slowly to right side, character by character until the render finished. Same AEP looks fine in other old mac G5s.

Now trying open the same AEP with newly installed CS3 (in same mac pro) and it looks good. Can anyone answer this? Thanks!

Another question: I have experience this error when I try to open a AE CS3 template from an old mac G5:
      Unknown BIB Error, invalid encoding, BRV 0

Same aep opened in another mac G5 works fine, but both G5 are of same configuration (hardware and software). Any clue?
        • 1. Re: Text layer shifting right
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Well, AE 6.5 on a intel Mac? I guess that's all the answers you need. Most certainly some odd thing with the Rosetta emulation (perhaps an uncaught binary division or something), but then again AE 6.5 was never designed with the intel switch in mind, don't you agree? Since you have CS3 anyways, this seems a non-issue in the medium run.

Regarding the BIB error: There's certainly a difference somewhere, but unfortunately these errors are nearly impossible to track down. Might be as simple as a damaged font, but could also be anything from a Quicktime component to a minute difference in your config that you wouldn't notice unless you actively went looking for it (patch level of the OS, Adobe updates etc.). Could also be a hiccup in the internal stucture of the project file, which more or less also hinge on differences in the OS on PPC vs. intel and may be caused by incorrect unicode conversions or otehr programs interfering with file access...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Text layer shifting right
            Level 1
            Thanks Mylenium for your prompt reply.

>>>Well, AE 6.5 on a intel Mac? I guess that's all the answers you need.<<<<br />
            That's what I suspected too. Since we still have some machines running with 6.5 and an instant upgrade is not that easy, I guess I just have to bare with it.

>>>Regarding the BIB error: There's certainly a difference somewhere, but unfortunately these errors are nearly impossible to track down. Might be as simple as a damaged font, but could also be anything from a Quicktime component to a minute difference in your config that you wouldn't notice unless you actively went looking for it (patch level of the OS, Adobe updates etc.). Could also be a hiccup in the internal stucture of the project file, which more or less also hinge on differences in the OS on PPC vs. intel and may be caused by incorrect unicode conversions or otehr programs interfering with file access...<<<<br />
            OK, I try to eliminate some duplicated fonts in a G5 mac that caused the same trouble and the error is gone. However, same procedure applied to another G5 mac with same error seemed to have no effect. Is there anything I can do apart from a clean installation of OS, CS3, fonts, etc. (That certainly will be a great pain)?