8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2008 10:45 PM by Andrew Yoole

Rendering Problems

Hi guys,

We just got After Effects and something is not going as it should, let me try to explain.

We got After Effects CS3 because of its rendering capabilities. Eventually we want to put a lot of segments to batch render overnight. In fact, on this particular assignment we are applying no effects, no editing at all we just need to convert them.

I am working with a PC(Windows XP). I am queued rendering about ten clips no more than three minutes long each.

If I render them individually everything goes well but if I try to batch render all of them, the first one to render goes through fine, the other ones are incomplete and finish with errors.
      Most of the times the application crashes after this process.
      It does not matter what kind of files it is dealing with. Same problem occurs with MPEGs or WMV files.
      It does not matter what kind of rendering settings I am using. The error persists.
      Any help on this regard would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Hugo
        • 1. Re: Rendering Problems
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Most crashes are due to AE suffocating from not enough RAM or display issues. How much RAM does your machine have? What's it's graphics card? Have you tried the secret pref to purge every n-th frame? Do you use the disk cache?

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Rendering Problems
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            Are you using source files that are MPEG or WMV? You should convert those files to an edit-friendly format before using them in AE.
            • 3. Re: Rendering Problems
              Level 1
              Hi guys,
              According to your responses I did some experimentation. I took some .MOV files and AE rendered them well; It worked.
              Now, this is not good news for us at Sesame Street. We have all these WMV files that need to be converted to MPEG2 (Cell phone content).
              According to the software specifications AE is supposed to be able to handle this kind of files. It would very disappointing if that is not the case.
              Again, we got After Effects because of its rendering capabilities. Eventually we want to put a lot of segments to batch render overnight: no effects, no editing at all, we just need to convert them.
              So what you guys are saying is that there is not a proper/effective way to make AE render files coming from WMV files?
              Our whole issue here is efficiency so if we have to convert the files in order to be accepted by AE' this process would be completely pointless for us ( As we are dealing with hundreds of segments)
              Thank you again your help.
              Hugo
              • 4. Re: Rendering Problems
                Level 1
                My CS3 was installed on C: hard drive which is the same as the O/S.
                There is only 65G of free space left.
                I can't render in After Effects because the files are being created in C: Drive.

Q: Can I change where the files are being created without changing the drive that CS3 is on ?

Q: Would it be better to re install CS3 on an (independent) larger hard drive ?

Q: If I do re install CS3 will that interfere with the 6 unfinished projects I am currently working on ?

Note: I can't afford to loose any of the unfinished projects.
                I can't afford to start 6 projects over from the beginning.

Please send solutions to: scotty0109@hotmail.com
                • 5. Re: Rendering Problems
                  Level 1
                  AE's render cue let's you choose the file name and drive for your renders. AE's preferences allows you to set the drive and folder for your preview and cache files. If you haven't read the help files on rendering and preferences I suggest that you start there. There is no relationship between where the files are stored, rendered, or saved and the location of the application file.
                  • 6. Re: Rendering Problems
                    Level 1
                    Imported an .aep file into Encore that had been rendered through AE Render Que process.

Somehow the audio did not come with it.

Do you know why ?
                    • 7. Re: Rendering Problems
                      Level 1
                      Imported AE project into En and the audio did not come with it.
                      It took a long time to render that damn thing.

Does anyone know how this could happen?

...Besides the obvious learning curve on my part.
                      • 8. Re: Rendering Problems
                        Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                        Did you activate audio in the Render Queue's Output Module?