7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2014 9:06 AM by Marc Trzepla

Dialog Boxes

Hi. I want my Open/Save etc.. dialog boxes in CS3 products such as After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator to look like the dialog boxes in every other program I use under Vista.

This is what my dialog boxes look like in CS3:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii209/mtrzepla/CS3.jpg

And this is what those same boxes look like in apps like Notepad, Quicktime, Windows Media Player, etc...:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii209/mtrzepla/Win.jpg

I know there's a toggle at the bottom that says "Use Adobe Dialog" or "Use OS Dialog" but NEITHER of these look like those other dialog boxes. With the weird CS3 boxes I miss out on the Explorer tree and the Favorite Links area.

Ideas?

Thanks

Marc
        • 1. Re: Dialog Boxes
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          I don't think that's possible. For compatibility reasons the "OS dialog" is certainly reduced down to the bare minimum and does not include features that are Vista-specific. My programming knowledge is obviously limited, but these are things provided in the operating system APIs and usually are just a few lines of code with a few parameters). Something like (pseudocode):

$myFile = file.Open()
          $myFile.dialog = getFile.dialog(400,250,list,"Cancel","Open")

would probably open up a 400x250 pixel wide file dialog in list view with a "Cancel" and "Open" button. It is imaginable that tthe "list" part can be expanded to be"[list+option.tree+option.favs]", but as it stands it still hinges on the developers making provision for it in the source code, which I don't think is the case for CS3. Maybe CS4 will make things more consistent...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Dialog Boxes
            Level 1
            Thanks for your reply - you have a lot of knowledge packed away up in your head. I actually feel like I have a clear understanding why the dialog box ISN'T the one I want.. am I have zero experience with programming.

Speaking of "consistent" .. is there a thread where Adobe users can chime in and contribute their ideas on the inconsistencies of the various CS3 interfaces? Nothing is worse than using all of the products together and expecting each to work like the others. (Quick example to explain what I'm talking about: Double clicking the PC background of Photoshop to open a file ... doesn't work in Illustrator.)

Thank you again,

Marc
            • 3. Re: Dialog Boxes
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8
              > Speaking of "consistent" .. is there a thread where
              > Adobe users can chime in and contribute their ideas
              > on the inconsistencies of the various CS3 interfaces?
              > Nothing is worse than using all of the products together
              > and expecting each to work like the others. (Quick example
              > to explain what I'm talking about: Double clicking the PC
              > background of Photoshop to open a file ... doesn't work in
              > Illustrator.)

Requests like this are best filed through the feature request form:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish
              • 4. Re: Dialog Boxes
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                As Todd said, file your requests through the official forms. I also recommend you consult John Nack's blog (http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack) and muse on his ponderings about UI unification. You will see that some of your wishes will be fullfilled in CS4 which should make things easier for all users. ;-)

Mylenium
                • 5. Re: Dialog Boxes
                  Marc Trzepla Level 1

How funny that searching the Forum before posting found... my own question from 2008.

But now it's 2014 and instead of CS3 and Vista I'm on CS6 and Windows 8 .. yet my dialog boxes for Open, Save etc.. in Adobe programs (After Effects, Photoshop etc..) still do not have the Windows Explorer "tree", but the "Places" dialog box instead.   

Guess my Wish on the wish list for an Explorer Tree in the dialog boxes never got granted.

So I was thinking of switching to CC but before I do wanted to know - any Windows users out there see an improvement in the dialog boxes from Adobe?   Or are they still stuck in the stone age?

Thanks,

Marc

• 6. Re: Dialog Boxes
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You can try After Effects CC (12) and see for yourself. The Import dialog box on Windows was converted to use the standard OS controls.

• 7. Re: Dialog Boxes
                      Marc Trzepla Level 1

That's great to hear.    I'm only partly joking when I say that that alone would make upgrading to CC worth it.    I totally forgot / didn't know about a trial version of CC.  I'll gladly give that a shot.

Thank you Todd,

Marc