3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2008 10:45 AM by Mylenium

Losing 3D

I have an animation where some 3d text on a path passes behind another 3d layer. It all works perfect, but if I apply any effects to the text layer it no longer passes behind the other object. Is there any way that I can apply effects to that layer?

Casey L.
        • 1. Re: Losing 3D
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Casey, check your terminology. I'm sure you are talking about layer styles rather than effects in the calssical AE sense. Unfortunately layer styles break 3D rendering because they are applied last and thus invalidate some previous calculations. This is also noted in the manual/ help. The only way to sensibly use them with 3D is to pre-compose the items carrying them and then use the pre-comp in place of the original comp. Also consider building your drop shadows, glows, strokes and so on with "classical" effects. It is absolutely possible to mimic the behavior of layer styles this way, it may just require you to combine multiple effects to get the same look.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Losing 3D
            Level 1
            thanks, I was trying to apply various blurs and warps and such. I was thinking to precompose to fix it (I seem to remember that working sometime in the past) but couldn't remember the workflow for doing that. Thanks

C-
            • 3. Re: Losing 3D
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              Yes, displacement effects are also a critical point in this workflow. Blurs however should not do anything strange and work when applied directly. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Mylenium