5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2008 10:06 AM by Webshark2000

Plant Growing Effect

Webshark2000 Level 1
      I've seen a number of commercials where the graphics look like plants growing, and sometimes are literally graphics of vines, with leaves popping up on them as if they're growing in timelapse.

I know this effect could be done in After Effects, but it seems like it would take a whole lot of keyframes.

Does anyone know of a better program to do these effects in? It seems something like 3d Studio Max, except 2d would be the best because then the objects aren't just still images, or video clips, but something you can change the properties that make it up. Is there a program that works well in conjunction with After Effects to pull off these type of effects?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Plant Growing Effect
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Well, even in 3D these things are not easy. It takes time and effort to rig all those aniamted extrusions and bounces and some keyframes just can't be avoided. Some ideas:

Cinema 4D --> XFrog, DPIT, MoGraph module, DiTools, FusionThing, Sketch & Toon module (animated strokes)
          Maya --> PaintFX, XFrog
          XSI --> Particle systems
          Houdini --> LSystems, Particles
          Blender --> LSystems (Python-based), Cloner object

There's certainly a plethora of other tools and programs you can use pluse of course all the standard functions, but it will take time to learn and master. also understand that most of the tools I mentioned are primarily aimed at creating realistic plants or mathematically exact structures, so it will still hinge on your inspiration and creativity to make them look artsy and cool.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Plant Growing Effect
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            If you have a budget, Andrew Kramer sells a bunch of pre-animated flourishes in his Evolution package, if that's the form of "drawn on vines" you are talking about:

http://www.videocopilot.net/evolution/
            • 3. Re: Plant Growing Effect
              David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
              I dunno if this xsi plugin allows for growing trees - contact the author first ( or just try with free ModTool).

http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=29;action=display;threadid=33160
              • 4. Re: Plant Growing Effect
                That's easy with with Max and Guruwares Ivy-generator plugin (Free!!)<br />http://www.guruware.at/main/ivy/index.html<br /><br /><br /><br /><Shaun_Kendall@adobeforums.com> wrote in message<br />news:59b596c7.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> I've seen a number of commercials where the graphics look like plants<br />growing, and sometimes are literally graphics of vines, with leaves popping<br />up on them as if they're growing in timelapse.<br />><br />> I know this effect could be done in After Effects, but it seems like it<br />would take a whole lot of keyframes.<br />><br />> Does anyone know of a better program to do these effects in? It seems<br />something like 3d Studio Max, except 2d would be the best because then the<br />objects aren't just still images, or video clips, but something you can<br />change the properties that make it up. Is there a program that works well in<br />conjunction with After Effects to pull off these type of effects?<br />><br />> Thanks.
                • 5. Re: Plant Growing Effect
                  Webshark2000 Level 1
                  Thanks for all the info. I'm going to look into all of these.