2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2008 6:45 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Getting cleaner edges with  4:1:1 miniDV  green screen footage

I understand 4:1:1 miniDV footage is not so good for green screen stuff. From what I've gathered searching google, it helps to blur the U and V channels before applying a color key. How do I do that in After Effects? Does anyone know any other tricks?
        • 1. Re: Getting cleaner edges with  4:1:1 miniDV  green screen footage
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          You can transform the colorspace using the Channel Combiner effect. Just don't forget to transform it back after you've done your blurs. You can further refine this technique by separating the transformed channels using e.g. Shift Channels and treating each component separately. You can properly recombine them by using e.g. the Add (RGB) or Luminance (YUV) blendmode. Anothr possible trick is to duplicate the layer and use blendmodes like Color in combination with your blur, then key the resulting pre-composition. Still, the best solution (if you do this regualarly) is to look into some specialized deartifacting plugins. A good generic point to start is RevisionFX SmoothKit collection which offers a wide selection of adaptive blurs that can be used to even out the background (Median) or soften block artifacts after the keying. Plus it has the advantage of a great variety of otehr creative uses... Also check out Primatte and its built-in deartifacting mechanisms. I'm sure you can also find simialr complementary tools from other plugin vendors.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Getting cleaner edges with  4:1:1 miniDV  green screen footage
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8
            The KeyerforDV animation preset available through the AE Enhancers forum automates the process of blurring the channels before keying DV footage: http://aenhancers.com/viewtopic.php?t=40 .