3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2008 6:51 AM by bogiesan-gyyClL

Creating a "Written Signature Effect"

CharlesCambel Level 1
      My client is supplying me with a scan of his signature. I'm going to be adding it to a video and I'd like to have it appear to be "written" on screen as if the signature is being drawn. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to attempt this effect through After Effects? I was thinking of animating a mask...but if there are any other effects or presets I can use to obtain the final result, any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

FOO
        • 1. Re: Creating a "Written Signature Effect"
          Ko Maruyama User Group Manager
          There are several ways but with pre-drawn signatures, you need to prepare the files for the cross over elements (where the line overlaps other lines).

Write-On
          Stroke
          Shape Layers
          Gradient Transition

Are all effects that can help you to get the animation done, but it requires a bit of prep work.

(We used to rotoscope signatures for the television show "Jeopardy" promo - ultimately, it was faster for a sub-2 second animation)
          • 2. Re: Creating a "Written Signature Effect"
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            Here's a tutorial on using the Write On effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHleqMlNr18
            • 3. Re: Creating a "Written Signature Effect"
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
              My usual advice to help distinguish a fake signature from a real signature:
              Certain glyphs require getting in and tweaking things manually. Crossing of Ts and dotting Is and Js require separate layers , masks, or keyframes.
              Also, a real signature is not linear in time. Some glyphs take longer to draw than others and there are lifts, starts, pauses, and flourishes that require careful timing.

Shoot video of yourself tracing the signature to see where the enhancements should occur.

bogiesan