3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2008 7:16 PM by Andrew Yoole

AE video card suggestion

Okay, so I've seen the list on Adobe's site giving 'supported' video cards.

But I'm looking for performance upgrade:
      -Windows XP SP2
      -Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4ghz
      -4gb DDR2 800 RAM
      -2 TB 7200RPM HDDs (no raid)
      -Cineform software codec for HDV

and...

-GeForce 7900GTX 512mb SLI video card.

I want my after effects to scream, right now, it's too slow for my tastes. At work, the macs seem to blaze through it. What can I do to really gain speed?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: AE video card suggestion
          bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
          We see this question about once a week, you might try to scroll down to see what others have received as recommendations. It's much more complicated than merely getting a card that will handle OpenGL because most AE filters use your CPUs and RAM more than the card's processing chips.

(But I have no pity for people looking for improved rendering. When After Effects was CoSA, I needed a weekend to render ten seconds of one effect on one layer on my Mac IIfx. Everything since then has been a screaming luxury.)

bogiesan
          • 2. Re: AE video card suggestion
            Level 1
            David_Bogie@adobeforums.com wrote:
            > We see this question about once a week, you might try to scroll down to see what others have received as recommendations. It's much more complicated than merely getting a card that will handle OpenGL because most AE filters use your CPUs and RAM more than the card's processing chips.
            >
            > (But I have no pity for people looking for improved rendering. When After Effects was CoSA, I needed a weekend to render ten seconds of one effect on one layer on my Mac IIfx. Everything since then has been a screaming luxury.)
            >
            > bogiesan

Indeed, I nearly peed myself when I first ran AE under the
            multiprocessor settings on a Mac Pro. I could actually see the particles
            move during a preview!!! My renders used a clock instead of a calendar!
            • 3. Re: AE video card suggestion
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              Any contemporary display card that supports OpenGL 2.0 will be more than adequate for AE.

OpenGL is simply not much of a big deal, and doesn't do THAT much to accelerate AE except under specific circumstances. As soon as you start throwing non-OpenGL supported effects into your comp, you might as well turn OpenGL off. (I often do.)

CPU speed and RAM are the most important factors to enhance AE performance. If the Macs at work perform the way you want your system to, check their CPU and RAM specs.

But don't spend a fortune on a high-end display card if its only purpose is to accelerate AE.