12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2009 3:03 PM by yenaphe

setup.exe... not working?

I've been having this problem for a while. Whenever I run the setup, nothing happens. Actually, I have noticed Setup.exe does open as a process for about a second, but other than that, nothing. I've ran as Administrator, I've ran without visual themes, I've ran in XPSP2 compatibility mode, and there's not much left to try.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1.
      Built-in Administrator account.
        • 1. Re: setup.exe... not working?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          What version of AE are you trying to install? Only CS3 is properly qualified for Vista. Everything else is up to your own experimentation without any guarantees.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: setup.exe... not working?
            David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
            One thing with Vista- even though you are "administrator", you are not the "all ruling administrator".

Try right clicking setup.exe and "Run as Administrator". If you want to not have to do that and bypass other security protections and are "feeling lucky, punk", you can disable UAC.
            • 3. Re: setup.exe... not working?
              Level 1
              Whoop, yes. It is CS3 version, and I am using the special normally hidden administrator account. I have the properties checked to run as administrator, and I also right click it and run as admin, so that's not a problem.
              • 4. Re: setup.exe... not working?
                Is your system properly updated? Make sure to install the latest Internet Explorer/ MSInstaller packages by running a Windows Update and also install .NET runtime just to be on the safe side...

Mylenium
                • 5. Re: setup.exe... not working?
                  Level 1
                  The only update I don't have is called Windows Vista Service Pack (SP1). I'll install that, and also to be on the safe side try downloading the newest .NET runtime.
                  • 6. Re: setup.exe... not working?
                    You should only need to have .NET 1.1 to run MSI and it should more or less be on the system already, it may just lack a update. SP1 should not be required. After all, it was not around when CS3 was developed. Still, it may potentially straighten out a misconfiguration that may be the source of your troubles, so it's definitely worth a try (and on a sidenote: it really fixes several serious Vista shortcomings, so I warmly recommend it). If you know your way around your system, you could also check the group policy and system security policy settings. Maybe somewhere there's an option enabled that will not allow install unsigned (unknown) applications and UAC/ execution protection kicks in regardless of your other settings... Also one question: what graphics card an settings do you use? It's rare, but the installer frowns on certain "odd" screen resolutions because it thinks it can't draw the installer option screens and will close immediately, which might require choosing a different resolution...

Mylenium
                    • 7. Re: setup.exe... not working?
                      Level 1
                      Yes, I have an new version of .NET, so that's fine. I did get SP1, still not working. The group/security policy settings seem fine, and I am able to install many other CS3 programs fine (Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flex, Bridge, Acrobat). Graphics, I think I have an ATI Radeon X1250 with Catalyst Control Center. My resolution might be odd, I guess. It is 1680x1050. I'll try another resolution.
                      • 8. Re: setup.exe... not working?
                        I have the same problem but on xp.
                        it happens whenever i try to install any adobe program. after it does all the exportation of files stuff, the setup.exe just lingers on my running programs forever and does absolutely nothing but take up memory. is there any solution?
                        • 9. Re: setup.exe... not working?
                          hi ,
                          i also need help with adobe flash and photoshop cs3
                          i am having exactly the same problem as CESAROX and GolemdX Windfall.
                          i am using windows xp sp2 and i have updated my .NET today only as mylenium told to.

But, the problem persists "i try to install any adobe program. after it does all the exportation of files stuff, the setup.exe just lingers on my running programs forever and does absolutely nothing but take up memory. is there any solution".

Please give a solution..thank you.
                          • 10. Re: setup.exe... not working?
                            Did you use the CS3 clean scripts to get rid of any debris from install attempts gone bad before attempting again?

Mylenium
                            • 11. Re: setup.exe... not working?
                              Jochem van Dieten Level 4

Dave Saunders wrote on 2009-04-16 22:27 :

Presumably this would only work if the last post is on the first page.

In threaded view the last post is always on the fist page.

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

--

This message has been scanned for viruses and

dangerous content by MailScanner, and is

believed to be clean.

LTCSERVER

• 12. Re: setup.exe... not working?
                                yenaphe Level 4

I had the same problem, couldn't find a way to solve it, called Adobe Support and got it solved. I remind you that with a purchase of an Adobe Product entitles you for some free support, including installation.

I had this when cs3 released, i remember uninstalling any flash plugin because the install is based on some flash runtimes.

Hope that helps,

Seb