2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2008 10:43 AM by Mylenium

importing MP3 and MPEG files

(Boyan_Slat)
      Hi there,

I'm working with AE CS3 on the moment, but got a problem.

When I wanted to import some of my video files (MPEG) and audio files (MP3) into AE, I was shocked by the error which said both file extensions are unsupported.

One solution would by to convert all my files into AVI and AAC files, but I really don't have the time for that, because actually 99% of my media files are unsupported

Can somebody help my with this problem?

Thanks!,
      Boyan.
        • 1. Re: importing MP3 and MPEG files
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          WHat are the file extensions for your problem files? What is their source?

Technically, AE should import MPEG and MP3 files, but I strongly recommend against it. They are delivery formats, and not designed for editing.

For reliable results I'd suggest converting all the required files with a batch conversion tool.
          • 2. Re: importing MP3 and MPEG files
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            Well, what do you mean by "unsupported"? Is AE not reading any format, including normal image formats and other movie files, or is it just refusing to decode the stuff? In the first case, your AE install or Quicktime might be damaged. In the second case your formats are indeed of the wrong sub-type. AE handles a bunch of these compressed formats quite well, but there being a bazillion sub-formats and derivatives of MPEG-1, MPEG-II, MPEG-4 and MPEG Audio, it's possible you are using ones that are unsupported. If so, then they usually stem from dubious sources or some odd digital camera. In either case a conversion using the tools bundled with the camera or programs like SUPER© seems inevitable, as AE neither supports certain long-GOP variations nor multitrack/ multistream MP3s.

Mylenium