2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2008 12:34 AM by Mylenium

Are Quadro Cards any better for AE?

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a hardware upgrade and I'm looking for a graphics card. I've heard whispers from around the internet telling people to "get a quadro for 3D work". While this may be good for people running Maya or AutoCAD, is it actually helpful for AE? I've searched for benchmarks or articles to substantiate these claims, but I've found nothing.

Is this the pinnacle of marketing? (getting people to spend money when they don't need to) Or would a high-end Geforce card work just as well?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Are Quadro Cards any better for AE?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          Most mid-range display cards will do everything that AE is capable of. If AE is your primary function, there's no point spending large amounts on an over-spec'd card.

Aside from avoiding nVidia 8800 cards, as documented here:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c0649ef/68

My advice is to spend no more than 50 bucks or so on the display card. OpenGL is vastly over-rated in AE anyway.
          • 2. Re: Are Quadro Cards any better for AE?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            The benefits of Quadros are not necessarily in the absolute overall performance. They are in part in the service and support chain built around the product and the dealer network, some extensions in the drivers, availability of some alternate configurations (some memory configs, sometimes extra output ports) and some better hardware (better memory, less noisy cooling fans). Neither of the aforementioned stuff has however any relevance whatsoever when you are working with AE. Unless you are hellbent on seeing accelerated blurs and color correction effects or work with heavy 3D comps all the time, even a mid-range consumer card will have plenty of headroom left over. Therefore, if you cannot find another good excuse to spend the money, go as affordable as you can and settle for a normal GeForce or ATI card.

Mylenium