6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2008 3:02 PM by Ko Maruyama

Puppet tool with camera.

Level 1
      I notice that the puppet tool does not work with the camera turned on. Or rather images in 3d space as seen by the camera are really not where you think they are when placing pins.

I have an image that is way off the screen to the right. If I leave the camera off I will never see the image... If I turn the camera on I can't use the puppet tool on the image.

Any ideas??

thanks
      -astro
        • 1. Re: Puppet tool with camera.
          Ko Maruyama User Group Manager
          If you're having trouble with finding the right location in the comp window, you might want to animate those pins in the layer window instead...

..or animate the puppet before you make the layer 3D
          • 2. Re: Puppet tool with camera.
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            Just like any other effect, the Puppet Tool works intra-layer. therefore it is natural that its overlays are not drawn with perspective, but always assume to be still in 2D space. As Ko said, edit the stuff in the layer window. You can select the effects to be shown on the bottom of the window. I also recommend you lock the viewer, so it does not show different stuff as you zap back and forth between the comp timeline and the layer window.

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: Puppet tool with camera.
              Level 1
              Yes that worked... I was doing everything in the comp window. I should have used the layer window.
              thanks!
              • 4. Re: Puppet tool with camera.
                Level 1
                Trying to do video magic. Need to animate the lips of a greyhound and make it appear that he is speaking English. This needs to be done on a video clip. I've been told the puppet tool is what I need and I would like to motion track a person's face for the facial movement then apply MT data to dog clip. Ever done that before?
                Thanks,
                Rusty
                rustyherring@hotmail.com
                • 5. Re: Puppet tool with camera.
                  David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
                  Puppet works with still images, not video.
                  • 6. Re: Puppet tool with camera.
                    Ko Maruyama User Group Manager
                    The mouth could be a still image, mapped to video of a dog head. <br /> <br />An easier task might be to composite someone's mouth onto the dog (if the dog is to have human lips/mouth). (We did the same a couple years back, easy and comedic fix) <br /> <br />If not, you'd need to tack on (and puppet) a generic muzzle (still image) onto your moving dog footage... not an easy task. <br /> <br />Mike Killen does talking animals on Flame ( <a href="http://www.animalspots.com" target="&lt;br" /></a>_blank"&gt;http://www.animalspots.com), but many are done in 3D. It helps to have true 3D bicubic distortion when you're going to do this kind of work. <br /> <br />-Ko