8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2008 11:29 AM by (plumeragent)

Car Radio Effect

Level 1
      This is a general FX question regarding audio and making a clip from a song sound like it's coming from a car radio while still being good enough for theatrical presentation. Any suggestions? Does After Effects have good enough audio FX plugins for this kind of effect? I have access to SoundBooth, Audition, and Soundtrack Pro as well as QuickTime Pro... I also have a tight schedule and no time to dig around for answers or experiment on my own, not to mention that AE CS3 doesn't seem to recognize the audio hardware that came with my new MacBook Pro.

Sorry, I know this is not an audio FX forum, but you guys are the best!
        • 1. Re: Car Radio Effect
          Hey, this is really simple, and you may already know this but all I do is crank the treble up to around 15db and 'boost' the bass by -5db in Premiere. Hope this helps, if not...just ignore me!
          • 2. Re: Car Radio Effect
            shooternz Level 6
            Audition is best for this and has an exact Preset for the task.
            • 3. Re: Car Radio Effect
              Level 1
              Thanks Craig! I expected something like that. It might be easier to follow Brad's example, to keep it all in Final Cut, but if that fails in FCP I'll try Audition on my PC. Too bad Audition doesn't run on my Mac!
              • 4. Re: Car Radio Effect
                Level 1
                Okay Craig, where do I find the effect in Audition? I have 3.0 installed. I'm not looking for a Doppler effect, though that might come in useful later. I want something that makes the audio sound like it's emanating from a tin can, almost.
                • 5. Re: Car Radio Effect
                  Level 1
                  plumeragent@adobeforums.com wrote:
                  > This is a general FX question regarding audio and making a clip from a song sound like it's coming from a car radio while still being good enough for theatrical presentation. Any suggestions? Does After Effects have good enough audio FX plugins for this kind of effect? I have access to SoundBooth, Audition, and Soundtrack Pro as well as QuickTime Pro... I also have a tight schedule and no time to dig around for answers or experiment on my own, not to mention that AE CS3 doesn't seem to recognize the audio hardware that came with my new MacBook Pro.
                  >
                  > Sorry, I know this is not an audio FX forum, but you guys are the best!

Found this on a sound site....

---
                  To start, we need to EQ. Put an EQ plug-in on the channel, or use a VST
                  plug-in when working within a two-track editor. You need to bring down
                  the frequencies on the low and the high end, and bring up the mid
                  frequencies. Start by taking out everything below 400Hz, and then
                  reducing everything above 2Khz. Then, if you have the option, make a
                  narrow bandwidth notch of about +4-6db at 500Hz.

If you've got a good compressor, add it as well. You want to start
                  compressing early, at around -20db, with a ratio of at least 4:1. You
                  can change this to your liking, though. If you've got it, adding some
                  light distortion from whatever plug-in you have and like best will give
                  you some extra effect. And there you have it!
                  • 6. Re: Car Radio Effect
                    Level 1
                    Beautiful! Thanks.
                    • 7. Re: Car Radio Effect
                      shooternz Level 6
                      Audition

Effects>Filter>Quick Filter> Old Time Radio Preset
                      • 8. Re: Car Radio Effect
                        Level 1
                        Yep, that's a good one. Thanks for the pointer!