3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2008 7:33 AM by (raymond_setzer)

I cant import MPEG

i get the message

"After Effects error: File "movie name.mpeg" cannot be opened, it may be in an unsupported format"

i dont understand, i exported it from Sony Vegas as MPEG 2, i then tried MPEG 1...HELP!!!
        • 1. Re: I cant import MPEG
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          MPEG is an inappropriate format for editing and compositing. Export from Vegas in a lossless format for the best results: Quicktime Animation (100%) or Uncompressed AVI are suitable options.
          • 2. Re: I cant import MPEG
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            >dont understand, i exported it from Sony Vegas as MPEG 2, i then tried
            >MPEG 1...HELP!!!

But with which settings? Elementary stream? Program stream? Transport Stream? What is the GOP interval? Data rates? There's so many sub-formats and derivatives of MPEG, it's nearly impossible to cater for them all, so unless you stick to the specs, there's no guarantees. And then of course Andrew is right - since you have access to the source files in your editing program, why not simply use a more suitable format? Uncompressed is of course ideal, but if you are tight on disk space (which, considering that harddrives are rat cheap, is still no good excuse), you may also use CoDecs such as Foto-JPEG with about 95% compression.

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: I cant import MPEG
              Level 1
              Mylenium@adobeforums.com wrote:
              >
              > dont understand, i exported it from Sony Vegas as MPEG 2, i then
              > tried MPEG 1...HELP!!!
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > But with which settings? Elementary stream? Program stream? Transport
              > Stream? What is the GOP interval? Data rates? There's so many
              > sub-formats and derivatives of MPEG, it's nearly impossible to cater
              > for them all, so unless you stick to the specs, there's no
              > guarantees. And then of course Andrew is right - since you have
              > access to the source files in your editing program, why not simply
              > use a more suitable format? Uncompressed is of course ideal, but if
              > you are tight on disk space (which, considering that harddrives are
              > rat cheap, is still no good excuse), you may also use CoDecs such as
              > Foto-JPEG with about 95% compression.
              >
              > Mylenium

I use Vegas a lot, and it sort of sounds like the poster may be somewhat
              new. Likely he is exporting using the standard Mainconcept MPG2 and
              probably a default present for an NTSC DVD compliant video. As was
              mentioned in the post before yours however, MPG in any flavor is really
              not appropriate. The QT Animation codec with millions of colors plus is
              probably the best choice, or, if the really easy button is desired, just
              the "Render to New Track" function will put a AVI DV format rendered
              copy onto a new track, and a file of that name will be in the project
              folder as well. Heck, no point rendering anything out for use in AE that
              does not keep the alpha channel.