5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2008 5:37 PM by David Wigforss-Hv1BNN

How do I extend the end of a video clip?

Hi,

I have placed my video clip in my composition and at the end of it, I want to extend the last frame of that video all the way to the end. Just freeze the last frame. How do I do this?

I searched this forum using search terms like "extend" and "freeze video" but found no results.

Thanks,
      JayGatz
        • 1. Re: How do I extend the end of a video clip?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Pre-compose the clip. Make sure the sub-comp is liong enough. Place that in your main comp. Then enable time-remapping. This will create a keyframe at the start and end to match 100% playback speed. Now simply add another keyframe at the point where your clip ends and the "empty" area of the comp begins. Then delete the last keyframe. AE will now hold your frame for the rest of the duration of the sub-comp.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: How do I extend the end of a video clip?
            Level 1
            Thank you!

Edit: I tried to do this without pre-comp and it didn't work. Also, is the last keyframe you mentioned the original last keyframe or the last keyframe you added?

I did the following, which worked for me: I time-remapped the layer, which created the first and last keyframes. Then, I simply dragged the end of the layer (the last frame) to the end of the composition. It worked. I would not have found this solution had you not mentioned time-remapping to me.
            • 3. Re: How do I extend the end of a video clip?
              David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
              By dragging the last keyframe, you are stretching the length of the entire clip (slowing it all down), which you probably don't want.

To just hold the last frame of a clip:
              1) select clip
              2) enable time remap (ctrl-alt-t)
              3) goto outpoint (o)
              4) set time remap keyframe
              5) delete end keyframe (the one to the right)
              6) drag layer endpoint to desired spot (you can also goto time where you want clip to end and hit alt ])

The reason you need to create a keyframe at the last frame is Time Remap places a keyframe after the last frame, on a blank frame. If you were to leave it like that, extend out the layer length, it'd be blank. By placing a keyframe on the last full frame, it holds that frame.

Hope it makes sense.

PS Not sure if you were aware, but you can use whatever keyframes you want with time remap. easy ease, hold, etc.
              • 4. Re: How do I extend the end of a video clip?
                Level 1
                I didn't drag the last keyframe. I just dragged the end of the clip, leaving both time-remap keyframes as is. I did not do steps 3-5 in your post, but it worked for me. Just to reiterate what I did to make it work:

a. I selected the clip
                b. I enabled time remap
                c. I dragged end of clip all the way to the end of the composition. (Note: I did NOT drag the last keyframe, just the end of the clip.)

Voila!

I was done.

I don't understand the business about setting another time remap keyframe at the end and then deleting it.
                • 5. Re: How do I extend the end of a video clip?
                  David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
                  Hmm.. By doing your method, it should have been blank after timeremap keyframe.. Anyways, glad it worked. I guess, in the future, be aware of this issue...