10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2008 8:34 AM by (Elie_Y)

Ram Preview

Level 1
      I have a stupid question and I may already know the answer but here it goes.

Whenever I do a Ram preview it gets so far and then loops back to the beginning. I will be working on a 3 minute comp and it will get let's say to about 1. 3 minutes. To see the rest of the comp I have to do a new ram preivew of the next part but then I lose the original Ram preivew section.

Is this due to insufficient Ram? If I had more Ram would I be able to get a longer Ram preivew. I have 3.2 GHz Pent D dual core with 2gb of Ram. I am thinking about adding 2 gb more.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Ram Preview
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Yes, of course adiing more RAM will extend the preview range - hence the name RAM preview. You will however never be able to preview more than 20 seconds on a standard 32 bit Windows system at full resolution - and that's a very optimistic estimate based on NTSC footage at 8bpc. The effective range will in practice be much shorter many times for various reasons.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Ram Preview
            David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
            If you need to preview the entire comp, you need to render a temp movie.

Still, I recommend getting the extra ram. It's dirt cheap these days. Not sure what you're existing config has (if you have 512 chips, replace 'em), but two 2gig chips 667 will run you ~$80 or so.
            • 3. Re: Ram Preview
              Level 1
              How come when I see tutorials they do these long great RAM previews. Can I assume they are working on heav duty rigs. What would I need to work more efficiently in AE (I will be getting a new machine in the not too distant future).
              • 4. Re: Ram Preview
                Navarro Parker Level 3
                Define 'great long'? And at what res? One simple trick is to lower resolution and use the skip frame feature.
                • 5. Re: Ram Preview
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                  >How come when I see tutorials they do these long great RAM previews.

a) The project has been opened long before the actual capture. If the comps have been opened and RAM-previewd at least once, this will buffer sub-comps, still images and a few other things in a manner that they will preview faster and may not consume as much RAM
                  b) By use of the disk Disk Cache you can keep your main composition "clean" and have all the RAM on a particular machine
                  c) You use beefy machines. Because the capture software needs some performance as well, you don't do such stuff on your EeePC but rather on professional workstations.
                  d) 64bit OSs and lots of RAM. Windows XP64 and Vista64 will allow access to full 4GB per process instance which not only allows longer RAM previews but also allows you to use multiprocessing. On a quadcore with 16 GB RAM the boost in performance is in theory 4times as high. The same is true for Macs, with the only difference that the ceiling per program instance is just 3GB.

Beyond that - don't let yourself be fooled. Figure in that tutorials are edited and may not be "realtime" at all. Also give credit to the fact that before actually recording the tutorial, whoever does them certainly has rehersed a number of times, so it's perfectly streamlined.

As for your new computer - Anything with 16GB RAM and a decent graphics card will be fine to use al lof AE's performance features.

Mylenium
                  • 6. Re: Ram Preview
                    Hi
                    On a 15 seconds composition, when trying to
                    do Ram Preview, it goes only 5 seconds and stop.
                    Got only 2 layers (footage and text) with no effects.
                    (CS3, winXP SP2, 2GB ram, 2 130GB drives).
                    How can I fix it?
                    Thanks
                    • 7. Re: Ram Preview
                      (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
                      Wow, that's a lot of blank space after your post. I thought I got lost in the fog there for a minute.
                      :)
                      What are your comp specs?
                      Are you working at film res, or HD?
                      Do you have your "work area" set to the desired preview length?
                      • 8. Re: Ram Preview
                        Level 1
                        Hi Steve, sorry for the fog...<br />My comp settings are: pal d1/dv (regular camcorder clip) .<br />resolution: full -  720/576, 6.3 MB per 32BPC frame, 25 FPS.<br />duration: 15 seconds, and yes, I see the all length.<br />When I reduce the preview resolution to third, it takes all the timeline,<br />but it is very difficult to work that way.<br />Thank you<br /><br /><br /><Steve_Patterson@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:59b5df7a.6@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />Wow, that's a lot of blank space after your post. I thought I got lost in <br />the fog there for a minute.<br />:)<br />What are your comp specs?<br />Are you working at film res, or HD?<br />Do you have your "work area" set to the desired preview length?
                        • 9. Re: Ram Preview
                          (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
                          Hey Elie.
                          Adding the addition 2Gb will absolutely help.
                          4Gb is a much better amount of RAM to have.
                          A good amount of your 2Gb is currently getting eaten up by the OS, and whatever applications you have running, which doesn't leave much room for cached frames.
                          • 10. Re: Ram Preview
                            Level 1
                            Thank you Steve<br /><Steve_Patterson@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:59b5df7a.8@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />Hey Elie.<br />Adding the addition 2Gb will absolutely help.<br />4Gb is a much better amount of RAM to have.<br />A good amount of your 2Gb is currently getting eaten up by the OS, and <br />whatever applications you have running, which doesn't leave much room for <br />cached frames.