9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2008 7:16 AM by (Dougie_Campbell)

After Effects on another PC?

(Dougie_Campbell) Level 1
      I (stupidly) am going to be using After Effects CS3 for the first time today on a deadline of tomorrow to do a green screen over video.
      Just wondering if there was a good site that could show me how to do this and also if it's easy enough to export the files back to Premiere Pro even although it's on another PC?

Many Thanks
        • 1. Re: After Effects on another PC?
          Level 1
          Dougie_Campbell@adobeforums.com wrote:
          > I (stupidly) am going to be using After Effects CS3 for the first time today on a deadline of tomorrow to do a green screen over video.
          > Just wondering if there was a good site that could show me how to do this and also if it's easy enough to export the files back to Premiere Pro even although it's on another PC?
          >
          > Many Thanks

They standard Key effect is pretty straightforward. Use the eyedropper,
          adjust the tolerance slider, experiment with feathering till you have
          what you want.

Exporting using the QT MOV, Animation, Millions of Colors Plus settings
          will give you a file that should give you no trouble in Premiere.
          • 2. Re: After Effects on another PC?
            Raymond.Thanks for this.One other thing if that's ok.
            Do I export the.mov back to premiere and THEN put the background on in Premiere or should I do all that in After Effects and the export the completed item back?

Thanks again for your help
            • 3. Re: After Effects on another PC?
              Level 1
              Dougie_Campbell@adobeforums.com wrote:
              > Raymond.Thanks for this.One other thing if that's ok.
              > Do I export the.mov back to premiere and THEN put the background on in Premiere or should I do all that in After Effects and the export the completed item back?
              >
              > Thanks again for your help

Actually, why not just do the whole thing in Premiere. You can do a
              greenscreen key in Premiere. Key out the greenscreen, put the clip above
              whatever background you want your subject to appear over and be done
              with it.
              • 4. Re: After Effects on another PC?
                Raymond,
                That would be so much easier but I had been told that After Effects was 100% better than premiere for this?
                • 5. Re: After Effects on another PC?
                  Level 1
                  You can pull much better keys in a compositing program than in a NLE. It just depends on what you want your end product to look like. If you're looking for something that looks like it was keyed (IE the weather man on the 6 o'clock news) rather than a a shot where the key is so seamless that you can't tell that it's not real then keying in your NLE is the way to go. If you're trying for anything else I'd pull the key in AE.
                  • 6. Re: After Effects on another PC?
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                    >That would be so much easier but I had been told that After Effects was
                    >100% better than premiere for this?

The point not to confuse here is, that AE provides a wider range of tools for this task and in addition offers you a plethora of auxiliary tools (masks, paint tools) which are not available in Premiere or, if they are effects, cannot be combined in the same manner (infelxible stacking of effects in premiere). You can do excellent keys in any NLE - just usually not with the bundled standard keyers. If you had e.g. Primatte, these considerations probably wouldn't even cost you sleep and you'd do it in PPro right away...

Mylenium
                    • 7. Re: After Effects on another PC?
                      Hi,thanks for the comments.I have tried it in After Effects and it does seem much better.I am currently exporting back(to use on the other laptop) via quicktime move and it seems to be taking hours to export 2.5gb.Maybe this is correct or maybe I'm doing something wrong!

Thanks again for the comments though
                      • 8. Re: After Effects on another PC?
                        Joey Morelli Level 1
                        I would use Keylight instead of the "standard keyer". You may also want to use a Matte Choker to tighten the alpha matte & Spill Suppressor to reduce any green spill on your subject.

Joey
                        • 9. Re: After Effects on another PC?
                          Hi Joey,
                          Thanks for this.It seems to be taking forever and a day to export as a .mov after applying the effects or should I be doing it a different way?