6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2008 10:35 AM by bogiesan-gyyClL

Time Remapping and exporting

Ok so i am doing some "Time Remapping" right now, and when i export i am using the Animation setting to compress. But when i open up the clip in FCP the timing of the sound and the video is off, and there are dropped frames. Maybe i am doing it wrong, i have tried almost everyway. The clips i used the time remapping on were filmed in 1280x1080 or 1280x720 or 1080x1920. If anybody knows a good way of exporting these clips, i would be so thankful if you could tell me.

Sean
        • 1. Re: Time Remapping and exporting
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          The actual impression of "dropped" frames is technically correct - unless you rely on frameblending or, even better, pixel motion estimation, there will always be skipped frames, eventually. It's the nature of the beast. To improve the perception, toggle the respective layer switch. Could have otehr side-effects , though, like ghosting. For maximum control use the Timewarp effect instead of the time-remapping. Your audio mismatch pretty much boils down to the same issue - since it provides a much higher temporal resolution (48000 samples compared to 30 or 60fps), it's much more easy to squash and stretch it as needed. In fact the audio part is probably the only thing that is right in this case and only the video is wrong because as explained above, AE will simply quantize to the next discrete frame, similar to rounding up and down in mathematics. Therefore it runs out frames in some places. if you don't want to use interpoaltion in some places, you shouild also consider splitting the clips. This will give you more control within each segment and by slightly varying the values, you should at least be able to prevent some of the gaps.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Time Remapping and exporting
            Level 1
            Hmm.. Thanks for the help. I just heard that if the clips wasn't filmed in 1080i or if the footage is progressive it does not remap? is this true?
            • 3. Re: Time Remapping and exporting
              Level 1
              Time Remapping is just stretching or compressing the time of a clip (linearly or otherwise). It doesn't matter how it was shot, as long as there is more than one frame of footage, it can be remapped (it may look terrible, but it can still be remapped).
              • 4. Re: Time Remapping and exporting
                Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                What format are your source files? If they are long-GOP based (such as HDV) then you may get better results by converting them to a standard format (like Quicktime Animation or Uncompressed) before working with them.
                • 5. Re: Time Remapping and exporting
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                  >Hmm.. Thanks for the help. I just heard that if the clips wasn't
                  >filmed in 1080i or if the footage is progressive it does not remap? is
                  >this true?

Nope. Remapping works on pixels, regardless where they come from. Using fields will increase the theoretical temporal resolution, but not necessarily yield better results. After all, 2 images at half resolution instead of one at full resolution are still not enough if the stretched footage exceeds 2 times the original duration...

Mylenium
                  • 6. Re: Time Remapping and exporting
                    bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
                    > some "Time Remapping" right now, and when i export i am using the Animation setting to compress. But when i open up the clip in FCP the timing of the sound and the video is off, and there are dropped frames. Maybe i am doing it wrong, i have tried almost everyway. The clips i used the time remapping on were filmed in 1280x1080 or 1280x720 or 1080x1920.

Animation will not play in real time on any but the most absurdly fast drives and powerful processors. Animation clips must be rendered to the sequence settings in FCP. When you place this clip i the FCP timeline, what color is the render bar?

You might wish to explore Apple's Optical Flow for time remapping natively in FCS. The approach is ridiculously difficult to grasp but instructions are all in the FCP manuals. It's a bit easier to do from Motion.

bogiesan