3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2008 1:10 AM by (Julian_Baum)

Chalk and Charcoal in AE 6.5 Pro

Hi,

We've just been asked to develop an animation which is required to have an illustrative look - chalk/charcoal, or pencil drawing maybe.

There's no two ways that the most obvious approach would be to use traditional media to do this, but the starting point will be footage generated in Lightwave, so fairly complex 3D stuff, but rendered with the intention of generating this more traditional look.

Has anyone done anything like this and can offer any ideas or starting points? Is AE the right tool to even attempt this?

Thanks for any help.

Julian.
        • 1. Re: Chalk and Charcoal in AE 6.5 Pro
          David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
          I think you'd be better off doing renders in LW than trying to replicate it in AE..

This is for Softimage XSI, but I thought it might offer some inspiration.. http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=19135
          • 2. Re: Chalk and Charcoal in AE 6.5 Pro
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            Use shaders and outlines in Lightwave. There's a plethora of techniques from the classical toon shader to gradients to wiggly edge outlines using fast-moving displacement maps. You can even get decent cross-hatching and stuff with stretched out fractal noises and grids locked in world space and blended in using incidence gradients. if you're participating in the 9.5 Public Beta, you could even use some of the hair tools to populate your surfaces with fake pencil strokes...

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: Chalk and Charcoal in AE 6.5 Pro
              Level 1
              Thanks very much!

Yes, good ideas. I've been looking around at toon tutorials for LW, as well as experimenting, so I will continue down that path. I really hadn't got far emulating any styles like this in AE.....it may well be possible but getting the style in LW has far more options and control, I reckon!

Thanks again!

Julian.