4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2008 7:45 AM by (Steven_Mullins)

using the timeline in After Effects CS3

Level 1
      Hi everryone

does anyone know how to use the timeline in after effects, is it the same as flash, as it seems to be different (more complicated!) anyone got any tips or ideas which may help me,

thanks
      I appreciate it
      Helen
        • 1. Re: using the timeline in After Effects CS3
          Level 1
          They are different in their approach but are both keyframe-based timelines. Go to http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/ and click on the "Working with keyframes in the timeline" movie underneath After Effects CS3 to get an idea.

I use both programs daily.
          • 2. Re: using the timeline in After Effects CS3
            bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
            > They are different in their approach but are both keyframe-based timelines.
            I use both programs daily.

I bow, Steve.
            Just having the Flash icon on my Mac gives me the creeps.
            It's an irrational emotional issue for me, much like my loathing of Photoshop.

About six years ago, ten of us attended a two day immersion Flash class. These are filmmakers and and Photoshop geeks. In 16 hours of instruction, exercises and tutorials, no one ever said "Cool." Not once. it was monstrous.

bogiesan
            • 3. Re: using the timeline in After Effects CS3
              David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
              When Adobe stopped by our studio last year and showed us some new stuff, I was very impressed with Flash being able to generate ActionScript code, like a command logger.. "COOL!!" I want that in After Effects! REALLY BAD!

But then again, they showed us how keyframing works in Flash.. Well, I'm back in your camp, Bogie...

Loathing Photoshop?
              • 4. Re: using the timeline in After Effects CS3
                Level 1
                Yeah, Flash is just a different world. I've used it for 10 years now and have internalized its limitations and abilities. When I started using Flash 2, it was just a drawing program that let you plug in the Wacom and sketch. And its onion-skinning and "edit multiple frames" functionality were/are awesome. Anyway, its conventions go back to its earliest version, which was a very different program, making it pretty odd. I'll still use it over Illustrator when I can.