4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2008 7:06 AM by Mylenium

Adobe PC version on a mac

I have both a PC and a mac. My home desktop is a HP PC and I have a macbook for my laptop. I am slowly making my way over to mac, but I'm still using my PC for many things.

Question. I want to get Premeire, After Effects, and Encore and I realize it would be best to just get the Production Premium since i'm a student, but I mainly would use it at home so I am probably going to get it for the PC. My macbook is an intel machine and I also run XP on it through bootcamp for other programs that I have Windows versions of. Will I be able to use my Adobe Production Suite 'PC' version on my macbook while it is booted up through bootcamp and running windows, or am I only going to be able to use it with my home desktop? I don't think they will give me both versions so I was hoping that it would work on my macbook without having to buy both versions.

Any help would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Adobe PC version on a mac
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          I have no problems running most Adobe applications using Bootcamp. I haven't used Premiere extensively, but it certainly works to some level. No problems at all running Photoshop, After Effects, Illustrator, Flash etc.
          • 2. Re: Adobe PC version on a mac
            Level 1
            Thanks, anybody else able to use Premiere CS3 and Photoshop windows version on your macs using bootcamp?
            • 3. Re: Adobe PC version on a mac
              Navarro Parker Level 3
              When you are in bootcamp, your Mac *IS* a PC. It's 100% PC to the OS. Other than a few Apple drivers to get it started, all your Mac hardware is a real Windows PC. It'll work as good as a "real" PC.
              • 4. Re: Adobe PC version on a mac
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                As Navarro said - with Bootcamp you run native and should have no issues whatsoever within the bounds of what Windows can handle by itself. There are a few oddities in terms of managing some basic hardware things (e.g. the keyboard light will always be re-enabled on my MacBook Pro after I have booted into Vista), but that is entirely Apple's fault - they simply have no clue on how to write good Windows software. You should only expect a few minor problems if you need to run specific extension hardware that does not support the different initialization procedures natively (due to the EFI-based boot), but most vendors should have updated their drivers by now, so this should be rare.

Mylenium